April 28, 2024, 01:35:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

High lift cams with SE Flattop pistons

Started by Mix01FLHT, December 14, 2008, 10:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mix01FLHT

Is there any work that has to be done on the pistons in order to use a high lift cam?  High lift meaning 600-625 lift.  I want to change to a 600 lift cam, but am not sure if I need to switch to a dif piston or make other changes.  Please advise so I dont screw it up.  Thanks

:beer:
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

Admiral Akbar

It's TDC lift that will get you and the type of heads/valves you run.. I'd check it.. You can go to KBs or Wisecos for more clearance if desired. Max

Mix01FLHT

Intake lift at TDC 0.232 exhaust lift at TDC 0.218. Heads are modified.
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

KingofCubes

You will need to check and modify the stock pistons. I have a very simple kit with instruction sheet to check this fast.

Mix01FLHT

Bike is already put together, just wanted to change cams and go to roller rockers.

Bakon

Your cam now is at .205, which is high but you want even higher, it needs checked. I compared it to the Woods stuff and you want higher than most all their stuff too. Valve to valve and valve to piston.
wasting time

sean fxd

<<Intake lift at TDC 0.232 exhaust lift at TDC 0.218. Heads are modified.>>

Did your modifications include larger valves?  If so then your builder should have already widened the valve reliefs on the pistons.

Did you builder check all the clearances when he put your current build together?  If everything was checked and he wrote the figures in a notebook you could see how close you will be with the new tdc lifts.

What cam is it BTW?

Sean

Mix01FLHT

I have a set of cams from carls speed CM600 lift.  Bike was purchased with mods already done, not sure what was clearenced or specs on valves.  Maybe i'll just leave it alone until I have to do complete rebuild. Until then, I will just put the roller rockers in.