What's the difference between fuel injected and carb gas tanks

Started by gryphon, July 26, 2010, 05:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

Trying to find a paint set for a 2004 Dyna. I see both types on ebay from time to time but don't know the difference. Can a carb tank be altered to use with an injected bike?

PoorUB

Quote from: gryphon on July 26, 2010, 05:03:03 PM
Trying to find a paint set for a 2004 Dyna. I see both types on ebay from time to time but don't know the difference. Can a carb tank be altered to use with an injected bike?

Seems to me the carb tank does not have the large opening in the top for access to the fuel pump and related parts, so no a carb tank will not work on an injected bike.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Horizonmech

Pretty sure Poor UB is right, cant find any specific PN's but the cost of the tanks (in primer) are not the same, with the carbed model being more expensive....... :nix:
"See ya round....if ya don't turn oblong"

mark61

FI has a return line. Can use FI for carb with aftermarket shut off but I don't think you can do the other way around....

mark61

gryphon

Yup, as I think about it your probably right on both points. No place for the pump and no return line. Could probably fit a remote in line pump somewhere but without a return fitting a tank couldn't be used on a fuely

FSG

moose

fsg is correct as usual, there is a kit to use the fi tank on a carb bike, I have 04 FI tank on my 02 Carb model
Moose aka Glenn-

ChopperBob66

Gryphon. I have a complete set of brand new skins for an '06 FI Dyna. (Tank, both fenders, never mounted) Currently primered and base coated silver. Was going to put a custom paint job on them and sell. Don't know if '06 and '04 are the same. Let me know if you're interested and we can talk.
Bob
MMC(SS) USN ret.
Phoenix, Az

gryphon

I believe there was a frame change in '05. Not sure what it was. I'll talk to the guy that owns the bike and also see if I can find out what changes were made on the frame.

Tre_11 FLHX

Quotethere is a kit to use the fi tank on a carb bike

I put an 06 FI tank on my 05 deluxe, don't recall any kit.  I had to put a petcock in, fuel level sending unit all from the carbed tank. I could be wrong, I just don't recall.

Tre'
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner