April 27, 2024, 09:26:20 PM

News:

Wheel Bearings

Started by 04Fatboy, December 14, 2008, 04:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04Fatboy

'04 Flstfi, sealed bearings of course.

I was doing some maintenance and generally checking things over when I noticed that the ring that has the plastic/rubber center that appears to be a grease seal, was spinning loosely on the axle spacer on the pulley side of the rear wheel.

Is this supposed to be attached to the bearing or does it press up against the bearing? Can I tap it back in place, or do I need to install new bearings?

There is a little grease in the hub and on the spacer but not a lot, I do not know how many miles it has been loose.

Thanks,
Don

PoorUB

If it is the grease seal for the bearing I would replace the bearing. No telling of how much dirt has gotten into the bearing with the seal off.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

04fatty

That little cover  on the bearing can be taken off and on the bearing (little screwdriver) but should be on it. PoorUB is right, if it got contaminated it'd probably wear out quickly. I'd replace it.

PosseRider

If there is grease in the hub (black, dirty) replace the bearing. I would actually do both sides & then no worries for some time. My indy uses some non HD that fit & not as costly as the Stealer.
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

aal

Assuming the bearing seal remains intact, how often should the wheel bearings be replaced?

truck

Quote from: aal on December 15, 2008, 01:10:59 PM
Assuming the bearing seal remains intact, how often should the wheel bearings be replaced?
I'm wondering the same thing myself, and what non H-D bearings to use on a 2001 Ultra?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

04Fatboy

Pulled the wheel tonight, pulled the pulley to get a good look.  Will be taking it to the shop tomorrow to have a new set of bearings pressed in.  Thanks for the replies.
Don

PoorUB

Quote from: aal on December 15, 2008, 01:10:59 PM

Right before they wear out!?
Seriously, the wheel bearings should last for 100,000 miles, easy, unless something happens to them in the mean time. Blast from a presure washer, abuse from changing tires, the list goes on. There is no way anyone can guess how long they will last. Check them good when ever the wheels are off, loose at all, if any doubt change them.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!