April 28, 2024, 12:12:30 AM

News:

09 Ultra Classic Engine Light Acting Up

Started by texcruiser, December 14, 2008, 04:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texcruiser

Got back from a long trip today, and decided to wash the bugs off. I did a hand wash - no pressure washer, and after washing and drying, I started the bike to put it in the garage. It started, but idled real fast, then died. I figured, OK, something got wet. The throttle/handgrip had water applied, but no more than if you were riding in rain. Restarted, and after a while, the idle came down to about normal, so I decided to ride around the block to maybe dry out whatever had gotten wet. Made it fine till I shifted to 2ND, and the engine check light came on, and the motor went to a "limp home" mode. After getting back, turning the engine off and restarting several times, the motor seemed to be OK, so I took it for a ride. The bike ran just fine, but now, when you go to start it up, the check engine light comes on when you turn the ignition on (as it should), stays on a few seconds, then goes off (as it should), but then it comes back on after the motor starts, stays on for about 10 seconds, then goes off. There was some water on the ECM under the seat, and the bike has a V & H Fuel Pak, but it wasn't that wet, I didn't think. Any thoughts on what's going on?

HDDOC

Clear the codes, should not come back.  Doc
2019 Tri Glide

texcruiser

Doc, thanks. How do you clear the codes (I'm not a tech, as you can tell). Thanks again.

Flat Dog

Turn ignition on and off several times-there is a specific number, but I forget how many. Gotta do it when the FBW sticks at a 2 grand idle (no engine code). Nice, huh? Harley F-ing Davidson...my widow will have to sue them one day.

texcruiser

Thanks for the info, Photo John. I think I may just run it up to the dealer in hopes they can tell me what it was that actually set this thing off to start with. No more water than I put on the bike, and no high pressure, I'd think riding in the rain would set this off as well - if water is what caused it. I don't particularly like riding in the rain, and doing it in the "limp home mode" would be even worse yet.