May 01, 2024, 09:48:58 PM

News:

tranny lub

Started by country50, December 14, 2008, 06:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country50

just wondering what the best lube for a 79 fx tranny and whats the deal with open belt drives .been lookin for one but for some reason 79 seems to be left out . look in all in mags you can 40s to 78 or even early 79 which is ratchet top tranny.but late 79s are left out .then its 80s and up. any one know why? :crook:

76shuvlinoff

After reading about it here I used shockproof heavy in my 4 spd and 5 inna 4 spd trannys. The 4 speed was really worn out before I tried the shockproof then it went on the shelf, the 5 inna 4  has over 20,000 on it right now. no issues so far but I really wouldn't expect trouble with it yet anyhow. 
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pappyfreebird

i dunno mayun ,,jus lookin in jp i see primo list 79-84 (which would be cowpies) in 1.5"  ...  n 3" 55-84...n primo brute 79-84 ......lectric n kick ony etc...personally dont like belts over chains ceptin fer cooler lookin ifn run open 3s
ps i ony run 80-90 wt in trannys..ive tried the spendee n cant feel a spendee dif..

Hillside Motorcycle

We stock Red Line driveline lubricants here.
It seems to work well.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

NormL

Red Line is super recommended.  I use Spectro GL-5 full synthetic gear lube.
Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

ol skool rules

i've always used 80-90wt gear oil as well

hardtail84

My tranny leaks a bit so I found some 80-140 gear lube on my shelf and started using that because it was there. Is this heavy stuff ok to use? My bike is a 84 with a cowpie. Thanks.
It'll fit, just hit it harder!

amfspyder

I use Bel Ray, I think it's like 80 - 140, I may have the number wrong but it's the heavier of the 2 oils alot of shops stock.