May 02, 2024, 06:07:54 AM

News:

Alignment tool

Started by truck, December 14, 2008, 08:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truck

Is this tool totally necessary?
If I am careful not to move anything forcefully do I really need this tool to align my 2001 Ultra?

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=2566.msg23385#msg23385
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

HIPPO

No.
Go and look in the tool section. You can make the equivalent for like 20 bucks.
I have the measurements if someone has access to a lathe to make a few. Got them via e mail from the original poster.

sandrooney

December 15, 2008, 03:47:43 AM #2 Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:49:58 AM by sandrooney
You can get one for a lot less than the HD tool from George's Garage. HD $650.00, Jim's $750.00. George's $370.00. I got one coming.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

docdon

Proper alignment is critical. I am the original designer / builder of the alignment tool in the tool section. I did build this for $22 and the use of a good lathe. The dimensions are now posted as well. Good luck.

docdon

truck

What does the alignment tool do or prevent from happening?

truck

hdjax2

In the homemade tool section
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

sandrooney

It is used to align the powertrain on rubber mounts.
SR

truck

How long are the Allen screws for the home made tool?
Should the rear wheel be lifted off of the floor before using the tool?

tireater

If someone makes them ...I'll buy a set...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

hdpegscraper

Truck.... looks like 2 1/4 long from the pic. Looks like a handy tool, I think Ill have to make myself a pair. Might come in handy someday.

HarleyCharley

Hippo, could you PM me the dems.

Thanks in advance. :teeth:

truck

The dimensions are shown here except for the screw length which appears to be 2 1/4' to 3" long.

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=1733.0

Big Dan

:angry: Now I'm pissed. There was a small engine lathe on my local Craigslist for under $400, and Christmas has me so broke I didn't go get it. The thing prolly woulda paid for itself pretty quick making these things at a real reasonable price.

If anyone does make 'em reasonably, I'd be in for a set after the first of the year.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

still_on2_wheels

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for someone to start a rent-a-tool post in the swap section. eh?

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

sandrooney

December 16, 2008, 05:47:59 AM #15 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 06:31:08 AM by sandrooney
I just got the alignment tool from George's Garage. According to George, and from my experience with aligning my 95 RK using this tool, the reason the pilot is tapered is because the holes in the swingarm brackets are not always exactly the same ( which was the case on my RK )so the taper makes sure it stays centered reguardless of hole position. It looks like on the home made tool the pilot is made to fit exactly in the hole, so if the hole is off center then the tool would be off as much as the hole. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me, and maybe they aren't off enough to make any real difference, but I thought something might be wrong with George's tool  cause the left pilot would not go in as far as the right one, so I called George and he explained it , and said that is why the pilot needs to be tapered cause Harley's holes aren't always exact, which made sense to me.Not trying to take anything away from the home made tool, just passing along info. and my experience.SR

hdpegscraper

Well I got bored this weekend and decided to make myself a set, per the specs in the homemade tool section. I realize most dont have access to a lathe, so I did make a few extra sets if any HTTers are interested.

Big Dan

I'd be interested after the holidays. How much do you need for 'em?
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

harleyjt

I might be interested too.  How much do you want for a set?
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

HDRDR

Well I got bored this weekend and decided to make myself a set, per the specs in the homemade tool section. I realize most dont have access to a lathe, so I did make a few extra sets if any HTTers are interested.

All I can say is wow!! very nice of you to do :up: Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

tireater

I'll buy a set...e mail me...Tireater at yahoo dot com... :up:
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

hdpegscraper

I posted the details in the Twin Cam Swap Meet section if anyone has questions.