April 28, 2024, 07:25:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Leakdown Test Help Needed

Started by kdietz, December 15, 2008, 09:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdietz

How do I keep the piston from moving off TDC when the air pressure is applied to the combustion chamber?

My instructions say to remove both spark plugs, but it seems to me that if you left the other spark plug installed if would help to keep the piston in place?

Karl
'06 Ultra GMR/R&R/S&S 117" Woods TW8 TTS SuperTrapp 2:1 129hp/134tq

Don D

High gear with the rear brake set. From my perspective exact tdc is not essential but you have to be on compression and valves closed.

kdietz

Makes sense....thanks  :up:

I didn't notice that the wheel was turning as the air was applied....duh!
Karl
'06 Ultra GMR/R&R/S&S 117" Woods TW8 TTS SuperTrapp 2:1 129hp/134tq

Herko

December 15, 2008, 09:27:46 AM #3 Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:31:06 AM by Herko
I've had good results with this:
Tranny in high gear.
Bring cyl being tested at or near TDC
Using a "stout" drift, punch or similar, place it between the swingarm and rear brake caliper and align the nearest hole in the rear brake rotor and slide in the drift (securely deep enough) to lock wheel.
Cautiously add the test pressure.
Slight settlement movement will likely occur.

YRMV.
Do not try this at home.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 15, 2008, 09:15:48 AM
High gear with the rear brake set. From my perspective exact tdc is not essential but you have to be on compression and valves closed.

Only works with mouse motors... :wink: Max

Hillside Motorcycle

High gear, brake, and have someone sit on the bike.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

TXChop

Yup, i do as Scott says. Sometimes letting the rear wheel down on the ground helps...Also if flying solo at ratchet tie down around the rear brake lever had helped me in the past.

FLTRI

Same as Scott and TXCHOP and if no one is available to hold the brake, we use a tiedown w/ratchet around the pedal to the crash bar or footrest depending on the configuration.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open