April 27, 2024, 09:29:26 PM

News:

Primary Belt Drive-Why? Why Not?

Started by djl, December 15, 2008, 09:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djl

Other than the custom factor and the downside of cost; what are the pros/cons? reliability? service life? maintenance?  will the VPC work with the belt type clutch? noise? what else?

HD/Wrench

Are you speaking of the 3 inch open or the enclosed type?? The belt drives that are enclosed tend to create a fair amount of heat, over time they tend to cook the belt, and even the stator as well. Or at least out here they do even with the fully vented primary covers. The standard chain drives create less issues. The open style work well, but rocks and such do get into the belt , pulleys wear out from sand, dust, dirt. A primo unit is a very nice way to go for a 3 inch open. No need for a VPC on a primo, the name says it all :wink:

ULTRADOG

no compensator hooks harder and faster  :pop:
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

itsafatboy

I put a 3" BDL on my 01 fatboy, 116" i like it the gearing gives you close to a 3.37, the newer bdl motor plates are very nice, and i run a outboard bearing support and i think you would want that, the clutch i am using is the bdl quite setup with their new ball bearing lockup pressure plate but i went with the copper 340lbs diaphram spring over the stock spring they sell with the plate, because i was having a slipping issue at lower rpm, i love the way the bike shifts with the belt drive no more clunk, you dont even here it shift. also it had to be about 20 pounds less weight than the stock setup. but to be truthfull the only reason i did it was it looks cool and its a around town bike,    

dave629

Itsafatboy-
last line sounds like you shouldn't put one on a long-distance bike.  How come? :pop:

itsafatboy

you know what i should not have said that i dont think there is a reason, there are alot of guys running belt drives for years and they ride tons of miles so i should not have made that assumption, 

dave629

Oh. I been eyeing a Primo for a year or so.  Your post kinda popped out at me for that reason.
THX,Dave

04fatty

itsafatboy- what was the cost of your setup, minus labor, if you didn't do it yourself.

djl

I have been thinking about a belt driven primary for some time but have not researched the various products available.  I can see that it is not a decision to be taken lightly and plenty of homework is required to select the right equipment; the units are expensive.

After some quick research, I am thinking an open drive but with sufficient covers to make it as safe as possible and provide as much protection as possible.  The one that has caught my eye is the new Primo Slimline unit with a full carbon fiber cover.  An enclosed drive doesn't really deliver the custom look like an open unit.

Clutch pull is another issue. VPC on both my bikes has spoiled me; I am accustomed to a two finger pull.

itsafatboy

You can get a setup on ebay for under a grand, bdl, or primo or you could get a ultima with bearing support for about 850.00, i have heard good things about the primo clutches, i have had to do some things to the bdl to get it not to slip but its also on a 116" .

djl

Quick_2s

I have the Ultima on my 114" with the stiffer springs and the tire slips not the clutch. The outer bearing support gives me a lot of piece of mind when I'm really yoking on it hard. It however was not designed for the TC motor so there are some very mild mods (dremel tool) required to make it fit. My tranny bearings gave out from a nice burnout I pulled but the clutch didn't miss a beat. ( note to self harleys do not function well as trenchers.)
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Admiral Akbar

I have an early BDL on a 113 evo.

1. by 16K the center hub and basket drive pins/steels were shot.

2. Replaced clutch pack with new quiet pack, pins and inner hub/bearing.

3. Old pack rattled like a bucket full of rocks going down a hill. New pack better but still rattles.

4. New pack needed 10 prings to keep from slipping.. Easyclutch needed.

5. replaced belt at 28K was looking ratty.

6. Dry clutch works well when steels are flat. First replacement set was bad.

7. current configuration squeals when slipping from a stop.

8. No compensator so more vibration.

9. Looks cool stock too bulky for a bobber.

10. Figure is might last 50K?

11.  Would I get another? For the bike it went on yes.. 

NightTrain67

I am running a Brute III Extreme enclosed belt drive and have had zero issues with it.  I am running a Primo VPC because I need the Gold diaphram spring and it gets a little stiff in traffic without the VPC.   I previously ran the standard Brute III and never had any issues with with a 144/142 setup in my 117.  That being said, I would still think the chain primary is much stronger, but is also heavier.  The open primary looks cool, but as previously stated, it is out there in the open to catch rocks, dirt and the occasional pant leg if your not careful.  They damn sure look cool, though.....LOL
2002 Nightrain
117 ci  R&R Stage V Heads, TR650G cams, Mik. 48, Baker 6-Speed