April 27, 2024, 04:58:44 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil on cylinder intake...

Started by tireater, December 15, 2008, 12:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

I found some oil pooling on the intake of the rear cylinder. Does this sound like a intake valve leak...? Thanks
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

les

This usually happens on the exhaust port when a valve seal has come loose.  When the intake valve seal comes loose then it usually sucks the oil into the engine.  Maybe someone else has experience with intake valve leaks and oil there.

Admiral Akbar

Sounds like you are running those blue Viton seals...  :smileo: Max

Sonny S.

Quote from: les on December 15, 2008, 12:26:17 PM
This usually happens on the exhaust port when a valve seal has come loose.  When the intake valve seal comes loose then it usually sucks the oil into the engine.  Maybe someone else has experience with intake valve leaks and oil there.

Bet it does when he fires it up   :wink:

Quick_2s

Are you saying it is pooling in the manifold? If so what pipes are you running I had a similar situation caused by reversion.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

tireater

These are 04 pro st heads from Hals Speed Shop...They were working good before my most recent build...
I built a jig out of alum. to check for valve clearence...I think some alum. crud was left in the top of that head...
I am going to do a leak down - comp test next...How do I tell if it is a valve guide seal leak...? Thanks

tireater

The oil was pooling on the collar of the rear cylinder intake..I run Thunderheader head pipes and Supertrapp muffler...

Sonny S.

The oil was pooling on the collar of the rear cylinder intake..

do you mean on the valve at the seat ?

got pix ?

tireater

The camera battery is dead...CCP was 199 back...198 front...On the last dyno run you could see the oil burning in the exhaust...

tireater

When I stick my finger in the head...I feel oil on the intake valve shaft....What should I look for in a leak down test...?

Sonny S.

CCP or leak down ain't gonna show a valve stem seal leak.

You getting a puff of blue smoke when you start it ?

tireater

I only saw the smoke on the dyno...Not steady...Like it was burning slow dripping oil...The motor does use some oil...

KingofCubes

Does it puff on decelleration or excelleration on the dyno?

tireater

Sonny S.

December 15, 2008, 06:16:17 PM #14 Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 06:18:48 PM by Sonny S.
Oil on acceleration could mean rings.
However, being as you have oil running down the intake valve as the bike sits I'd say you definitly need valve stem seals. If the breather bolts came loose, or a breather gasket or oring is leaking, that would create additional pressure inside the rocker box, and could force excess oil past a torn or loose seal. ( could be what you were seeing on the dyno )
Too much oil in the rocker boxes could do the same. Check the oil return hole at the exhaust valve while you are in there.
I would also make sure both head breathers are working properly.
Either way, if your valve stem seals were working properly you would not have oil running down the valve as the bike sits.

CCP is good, I would definitly do a leakdown to check that cylinder out anyway but you are going to need seals IMHO

FLTRI

Generally, decel smoke comes from valve seals and accel smoke comes from rings. But if there is oil on the back side of the intake valve the seal is usually the cause. I guess there is the possibility you have multiple issues causing the smoke.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

les

I pretty quick and inexpensive check is to remove the rocker box covers and get a bright light and see if a valve seal came off the guide.

tireater

Thanks for all the tips...I will take it apart tomorrow...My buddy is going to loan me a valve spring compressor... :up:

Don D

Check the guides too
New seals will last about a week if the guide clearance is loose.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: tireater on December 15, 2008, 03:36:05 PM
Acceleration...

You might want to clarify this.. If you chop the throttle, roll it back on (you are accerating here) and get a puff, it's guides.. If it keeps on smoking till it hits redline, it's the rings. Max.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 16, 2008, 06:41:30 AM
Check the guides too
New seals will last about a week if the guide clearance is loose.

If viton, less than that..  :wink: Max

tireater

From the carbon on the intake valve at 800 miles...I don't think it is the rings....
No time to take it apart until this weekend...Gotta make bags of cash now...