April 28, 2024, 08:56:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Hypothetical? - A return to stock exhaust.

Started by blk-betty, December 15, 2008, 01:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blk-betty

Just curious from those who have direct knowledge or have lots of tuning experience that can offer an opinion for whatever it's worth.

Let's for a millisecond assume that as of Jan 01 2010, the muffler police come out in full force and anyone with a non-OEM muffler (with the EPA noise standard stamp) is fined $500 for first offense and bike confiscated on second offense, and as a result most riders reinstall their stock mufflers regardless of their build.

How much performance loss would be seen for a Stage 1 88" ?

................................................................ 100/100 95" ?

............................................................... 110/110 103" ?

In other words would the 100/100 95" then perform like a Stage 1 88" and a 110/110 103" perform like a 100/100 95"?

I assume the larger the motor and the higher the output the more negative impact with replacing a performance exhaust with stock mufflers.

Will this scenario ever happen?  The writing is on the wall in some municipalities but on a national scale, who really knows.  It does however make 'me' wonder if $$ spent for a hi-po build may be $$ spent in futility?  In other words does bang for the buck go out the window if we are forced to run stock muflers?

Thoughts anyone?

I don't intend this to be a noise pollution thread, rather what effect will stock exhaust have on performance for an already built engine that was designed with a free flowing exhaust as a requirement.   
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

Don D

Faast Ed

Seems a lot more builds would be leaning towards low end torque, while surrendering any thought of high end power. 
Sure hope it don't come down to that.
≡Faast Ed>

Sonny S.

Relax man.... it's all good  :wink:
just take out a few discs on that ST if ya need to and purrrrrrr along.
If it comes down to the little EPA stamp then that dude the recores factory mufflers is going to be rich.
I ain't sweatin it.

I'll tell ya what. If the cops start HARRASING me because of my pipes not being STOCK, well my ass will be in court with a lawyer ready for action. They better make all the Jap car's and bikes, as well as all the Hot Rods, Mustangs with Flow Masters,
and pickup trucks go back to STOCK exhaust too.

RK101

Quote from: Faast Ed on December 15, 2008, 01:35:59 PM
Seems a lot more builds would be leaning towards low end torque, while surrendering any thought of high end power. 
Sure hope it don't come down to that.

I tried going back to the stock mufflers one time. Thinking that with true duals each pipe would be sharing 50% of the load instaed of the right pipe taking the larger portion of the exhaust. Ed what happen is exactly what you said. On the lower end it was fine but when I whacked the throttle it got to a certain RPM and you could feel it flat lining. This was not on a dyno just a seat of the pants and knowing my bike experiment. I also have a DFO on the bike that I played around with and 26 cams. Like you I sure hope that day never comes but I'm not betting any money that it won't.  :emsad:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

blk-betty

Sonny

I ain't sweating it at all.  I feel with my Supertrapp I'd be one of the last 'harrassed' anyway.  Just some food for thought,  kinda like what may happen if the Big 3 don't get their money.

Kinda fun to speculate what 'might' happen, but either way i'm not sweating it.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

tireater

I'll just wrap my Supertrapp in heat tape and watch them scratch their heads....
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

onemchog

They better go after all the dump trucks and tractor trailers also
Stay safe no matter what 2 wheels your on.
Barnegat,New Jersey