May 09, 2024, 08:42:08 AM

News:

Handle Grips

Started by 05RK1, November 02, 2008, 05:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05RK1

Is it a very difficult job to replace grips.

Snorth

Not really, just be careful if you have cruise control, the brake sensor switch is delicate.

Snorth

x52gnr

nah , its not too bad....if you have a dual throttle cable setup u will have to adjust allot of slack in the cable to remove the cables from the grip. Those little brass ferrules like to disappear quick down into the switch housing so stuff a rag in there to keep from losing them
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

harleyjt

You didn't specify model..  if its 08-09 touring its a snap.  No cables to worry with. Throttle grip simply pops off after you open up the switch housing.  Left side sometimes you can grip it and twist it off with some force.  If that doesn't work, use a blade to cut it off, then install the new one.  I usually find I don't need to glue it.  On later models (96+) the switch housing retains the grip anyway.

If its another model, then you likely have 2 cables to deal with.  I loosen off the idle cable (pull closed) all the way possible.  I pull the air filter off to expose the throttle body, crank the throttle wide open and stick a plastic trim stick into the throttle body to hold the throttle blade open.  Then I'm not fighting the throttle return spring as I work up above with the little disappearing ferrules, etc.  This way once you're finished, all you have to do is adjust the idle cable only.  By the way - while you're in there, be sure and inspect the adjustment of the throttle (pull open) cable to make sure you're really getting 100% throttle opening.  You might be surprised to find its not fully opening.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

05RK1

Thanks jt  ido have an 05 rk I suppose i should read more to be certain about the right side.