April 28, 2024, 12:03:51 AM

News:

can a flht evo frame handle a 127 powerplant ?

Started by bluerim, December 15, 2008, 07:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluerim

I am thinking about building another bagger hot rod. To keep costs down,  the big powerplants available like the 127 Ulima are a lot cheaper than the twincams but only available for evo applications. How strong are  pre 1999 bagger frames. If the frame is a weak  spot then I guess I'll  have to go to a twin cam frame. Anybody built any early hotrod baggers in evo frames with good results?

PaJoe

On the HD forums there is a thread with several individuals that have some bigger inch Ultima engines in older stock evo frames. I put an Ultima 113 in our '90 Ultra but it is too new to tell how well the frame will hold up. I think someone  in the thread talk of having a 127 - I think you need to raise the tank with that one.

http://hdforums.com/forum/evo-classic-models/146296-ultima-107-motor-on-a-90-model-bagger.html

There was a fellow on this Harley Tech Talk that has extensive knowledge of the Ultima engines and he posted one time that he felt the 113 was the best all around choice, and that was one of the main reasons I chose a 113, but that thread may have been lost on the former web site.

Reddog74usa

Pa-Joe That fella is John Sachs. You should be fine with the 127. John has one in his Road King makin around 150 HP. You will not have to raise the tank on your bike unless your un a Mikuni 48mm. Run a S&S "G" and it will fit. John Sachs posts on here and will be able to set you up with regards to the 127 in a FL.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Flat Dog

John is the sheeot-I wish I lived closer to Ft Lauderdale where I believe he is at! Heck of a motor builder.

PaJoe

It was John Sachs and I found the quote I was referring to:

http://groups.msn.com/Harleytechtalk/evo1340.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=1408948&LastModified=4675689646984728872

******** begin quote **********
Red,

Sorry for the late message,but my stress level has been in the ozone.The possible hurricane hit,a shop full of work(no complaints),and my son needing me to do a set of pistons(very time consuming) for his Pro-Mod bike by 10/4(2 rounds from earning #1 plate in SEMDRA).
Ultima motors can hit their published power levels with a little work,and a GOOD tune,including advance curves.Also,common sense when choosing an exhaust system.
The motors have been coming thru with .055" head gaskets--- need to be changed.They have .035" in stock.
Clip the heads for 11.2 compression.
The areas under the valve seats need to be cleaned up and blended.Also check the valve job(radius)on the earlier heads,making sure a die grinder didn't hit the 45.
S&S carbs used on earlier motors need to be bored.100",and a 1.00" os air cleaner kit should be used.
Mikuni carbs will work as well as a modified "G",but you'll have to raise your gas tank on the larger motors.
My favorite motor is their 113".With the above mods you should be in the low 120 range with NO pms.
Can't beat Ultima up for the thicker head gaskets,when one well known engine manufacturer is sending a lot of their engines thru with pistons that are .039" to .080" in the hole(taller cylinders).
John

************ end quote *******

hbkeith

dont know about a 127,but gotta built 80" 93 ultra that i can stand straight up,got road rash on my trailer hitch,probally wheelied it a 100 times ,no frame problems

bluerim

:beer:
Thanks for the info.
Ultima rates their 127's at 140/140  at the rear wheel, at 10.2-`1 cr with 45 Mik and a 640 cam and assuming a good pipe like sepertrap 2/1.
anyone know what they really dyno at? I'm hearing they are quite a bit less.
Anyone have dyno charts for the 127's, and what carb and pipes.