'79 FLH cracked left side case, bad rod bearings so far !!

Started by 79FLH, August 17, 2010, 08:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

79FLH

O.k. , I got the front jug off, I have about 3/16" of play side-side on the connecting rod. The jug is out of round by .006", wider/worn on the sides. I have a guy thay I'm going to let put the lower end together, he got me a good price on S&S cases, So that's the way I'm going. We'll see how far I have to go when I get her tore down the rest of the way..  I attached some pics, hopefully it worked this time.  Thanks again for everybodys input on this project !!!  Dave W.
Ride it like ya stole it !!

79FLH

It's telling me that my pictures are to big of a file, maximum total size 350KB, my pics are 1.03MB !!  WTF???

rbonner

Simply edit them in windows for a smaller size and you should be OK, just getting them below 350 each.
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

FSG

79FLH

Thanks guys, the resizing seems to have worked... Dave W.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

vern

fourthgear

That should not be hard to get repaired .
It is a strange place for a crack.
Wounder if some one used a pipe fitting plug in there at some point .

79FLH

It sure is a strange crack, I really don't know much about the history of this bike. I bought it from a guy who paid to have EVERYTHING done on this bike, right down to routine maintenence. I have all of the receipts from when & where the work was done, but the shop is no longer open. Anyways, something was done wrong, & I haven't gotten down to the flywheel assembly yet, but there was no metal in the oil when I drained it, so I don't think anything let go in there. If I've got to do the cases (which I decided I am), I need to just go thru it, do it right, do it once..  Now all I have to decide is How much overtime can I work to afford this project, & do I want to go bigger that 93ci ????  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..  Thanks, Dave W.

vern

Was there oil puking out of the crack? cause it looks like a casting blemish. and 3/16 side play at the top of the rod isn't that unusual. it's the up and down play that tells the story. Did you measure the play at the crank shaft?

rbonner

Naw a 93 is a good solid motor with a reasonable stroke and bore.
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

79FLH

Yep, I was losing oil out of the crack, it was the elusive oil leak I could not find. It kept getting worse, then I was out for an early Sunday mornin ride, & I found it, It was opening & closing as the motor was runnin !! She got me home though !!!