REPRINT FROM OLD HTT: CHANGING CLUTCH SHELL BASKET FOR 3.37 MODIFICATION

Started by ClassicRider2002, December 16, 2008, 07:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRINT TOPIC FROM "OLD" HTT

I have saved many great topical discussions as "links" over the years and would hate to see these lost, so I am reprinting this TOPIC here, which may "perhaps" help some.

TOPIC:  CHANGING CLUTCH SHELL BASKET FOR 3.37 MODIFICATION  01-10-2006   

From: usmcdeuce  (Original Message) Sent: 1/10/2006 11:34 AM   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion
I am modifying my final gearing from 3.15 to 3:37 this weekend along with a VPC and HB-125, I don't have a press and was wondering if there is any other way of changing out the clutch basket besides going to the Dealer. I am sure they will wack me for any hour of labor?  Any suggestions?
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

From: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ Sent: 1/10/2006 11:46 AM   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion
A large Vise and an extra set of hands to hold all the parts from falling and landing on your toes. When I did mine it pressed out and back in fairly easily. Take your time and make sure everything is square and flat and have good support like shown in the service manual just do it horizontally not vertically.  Good luck  KGhost

From: ZanyBobby42 Sent: 1/10/2006 11:48 AM  Message 3 of 10 in Discussion
Dont waste money on the HB-125. Its garbage. Keep your stock manual tensioner.

From: FLHTW Sent: 1/10/2006 11:57 AM   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion
I would go ahead and use the hb-125 I own 2 And no problems with both bikes at or over 100 ponies

From: HIPPO_ Sent: 1/10/2006 12:42 PM   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion
Sometimes the hub presses out easy, sometimes not so easy, it is a difficult call wether to replace the hub bearing or not, if the bike has higher mileage and it presses out not so easy I prefer to replace the bearing.  

From: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ Sent: 1/10/2006 12:44 PM   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion
The HB125 is a good investment and IF set up correctly works very well.  I guess that is why HarleyDavidson came out with there own self adjusting primary chain tensioner...................................!!  Of course you could buy the HD one and achive the same results.  Your call but if you have the HB125 use. I did!!   SWEEEEET.............

From: ZanyBobby42 Sent: 1/10/2006 12:53 PM   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion
The HB-125 tensioner pad is made of a cheap nylon(I have seen a number of posts of them cracking and splitting), and the hydraulic function works poorly. Ive learned from experience its JUNK. There have been many other complaints from other people on the porduct as well.    If a hydraulic tensioner is going to be used, I would look into the factory one from HD. But the HB-125 is absolutely worthless.

From: usmcdeuce Sent: 1/10/2006 12:55 PM   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion
Any tips on this entire install, first time taking apart primary. To be honest I don't even know what I have to press out on the hub. The hub will be coming on Friday so I guess when I put the 2 together I can figure it out. 

From: ZanyBobby42 Sent: 1/10/2006 1:07 PM   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion
You can buy a small 2-3 ton press for about $60. The clutch hub needs to be pressed out of your old basket and into the new one.

From: Madjack2303 Sent: 1/10/2006 8:01 PM   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion
Ditto on the HB-125, don't waste your hard earned money. At least not until they design a friction shoe that worth a darn. Opened up my primary last week , found the shoe broke in half , an the front peice laying in the bottom of the case . Don't know when it broke, approx 10k  since installed. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. gene
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Anything added beyond this point is new information.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

I actually have a excel spread sheet that was provided within a THREAD here at HTT by:
Anyone have any use for this driveline spreadsheet? It was posted here back in 2003, and I thought is was saved somewhere in HTT, but I can't find where.

Hopefully all will be able to down load the EXCEL PROGRAM below next to the "paper clip"

If you plug in your actual gearing (comp sprocket "T"ooth size, clutch shell basket/ring gear "T"ooth size, rear wheel sprocket "T"ooth size, transmission "T"ooth size as well as rear wheel diameter then it will factor RPMS and such which would aid you in determining what level of gearing you might benefit most from........then if you wish to ponder some other options for your comp gear or your clutch shell basket gear or perhaps your secondary gearing which might require a different belt you can see what might create the biggest bang for your buck.....

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your cursor next to the paper clip icon below will allow you to open this EXCEL PROGRAM, if you desire simply choose to save the program to your computer as well]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Hello Everyone~~~

Through out all of the "old" THREADS that deal with the 3.37 Gearing Modifcation to our TWIN CAM BIKES I really enjoyed reading them....and after all of the valuable input from everyone whom posted, I eventually did the MODIFCATION to my 2002 RKC.  Like many before me have stated and I must concur, this MODIFICATION has to be ONE OF THE ABSOLUTELY BEST MODIFICATIONS I have done to my "BAGGER", it's such a wonderful "bang" for the buck invested....

Thus I put together a detailed THREAD about the modification, if you are interested in reading about such Simply CLICK, VIEW, & READ the Attached "LINK" below:

3.37 MODIFICATION GEARING INSTRUCTIONS FOR 2002-2006 TWIN CAMS 

I happen to be "ClassicRider" @ V~TWIN FORUM.

The above THREAD which I have provided a "link" for above will address ways of seperating the Clutch Shell Basket/Ring Gear from the Clutch Hub as well as considerations for whether or not changing the Double Angular Bearing is necessary. 

Hopefully it is helpful to some you!

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

The following "LINK" below will give everyone a view of what the HB 125 is, SIMPLY CLICK & VIEW:

HB 125 PRIMARY CHAIN TENSIONER FOR TC88 FLH's

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

Here Is Another HB125 Topical Discussion provided by this "LINK" SIMPLY, CLICK, VIEW& READ:

CONVERTING FROM HB125 TO STOCK PRIMARY TENSIONER

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2