April 28, 2024, 05:05:29 AM

News:

Cold...leak down test...?

Started by tireater, December 16, 2008, 09:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

Reading the instructions with the tester...it says to test with the motor warmed up...
It is a little late as the T.B. is removed and it is 40deg outside where the bike is...???
Does a cold test give me reliable info...? thanks
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Don D

Get er done and then decide. If the numbers look horrible they won't get much better warm.

tireater

sean fxd

<<Get er done and then decide. If the numbers look horrible they won't get much better warm.>>

Have you done it both ways??  I have heard that cranking compression cold is fine but leak down cold can be misleading.

Sean

Admiral Akbar

What are you doing the leak for? I thought you had to pull the heads for a leaky valve seal? Leak ain't gonna find anything on that.. Also leak won't find things like second piston ring upside down.. Leakdown is a reason to pull things apart. I thought you already had a reason.. Max.

Sonny S.

Also leak won't find things like second piston ring upside down..

yeah that'll make some smoke

tireater

I am going to pull the head off...I got stuck doing boat maint. today as the weather is getting better quick and I have to dive 3 days...
I peeked into the intake today with a light and the back of the intake valve was heavily carboned up...With only 800 miles on build...
It also seemed that some tiny metal bits were on the valve stem...It rained all day...I'll tear it down soon...