April 28, 2024, 04:18:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

4 spd leak

Started by nuts4shovels, December 16, 2008, 03:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuts4shovels

I have 82 FLH--chain pri-belt drive.  stock set up. removed both pri covers inner  and out. Cleaned all parts reassembled.

My purpose was to find leaks.  all looked good but after limited use found drip on inner surface of drive sprocket. that is trans side of

drive sprocket{belt sprocket}.  I see no oil seal of any type on diagram from manual.  Whats up with that??????

Nuts   thanx 

Hillside Motorcycle

Most of those leaks are traced back to the main drive gear bushing/mainshaft fitment.
The bushing gets worn, and the one way babbit, cannot keep the fluid in.
Ignored, and it eventually buggers the mainshaft.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

HarleyCharley

December 16, 2008, 09:38:33 PM #2 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 09:42:48 PM by HarleyCharley
Replace spacer with '84 spacer and put an oring behind it. Must have the correct size oring. The last 4speeds came that way. That is what I'm doing to my '81 Low Rider right now, just getting the parts together.  :wink:

Just remembered, there is a difference in spacers for chain and belt drives so make sure to get the right one.

billbuilds

Nuts,
     There is a mainshaft seal for your tranny though it does not show on the page that details the housing & mainshaft but is on the page showing the countershaft detail. I'm talking the factory 41 to 84 FL parts catalog. It's p/n 37741-82. It won't do you any good to replace only this if, as Hillside points out, you have a main drivegear/mainshaft slop issue. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

nuts4shovels

thanx for all the info--I would assume I have to remove the trans or can this be done with only

prim removed?  In for a penny in for a pound I would guess.

Nuts

pappyfreebird

seal n bush kin be done wid jus primes gone..any deeper n easier ta pull the trans

Lew

Good luck with keeping the oil in the tranny.  Major pain with the rear belt drives on shovels running the four speed tranny.  Don't ask me how I know.......
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

brent

its been a long time but i had i think it was a andrews main drive gear bushing with a o-ring put in so far its good been maybe 5 to 7 years ago 

baldoldfxr

Maybe look at the nut with the seal built into it as well I know thats not where yours is leaking but its a belt & braces thing.

Hillside Motorcycle

Chicago Rawhide makes a special seal for them.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"