May 09, 2024, 12:17:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mabey the first one on posted on the new HTT but i have another oil question

Started by hotbagger1, November 02, 2008, 06:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbagger1

I have been using redline oil for 15 years but it's kind of a pain in the a$$ to get in my area and mail order the shipping charges are pretty pricey
and i don't like amsoil , so my question is since mobil 1 v-twin synthetic is pretty easy to get in my area should i switch ? is it as good as redline what do you think ?

redline $12.50 per qt + shipping which was $ 27.00 a case last time i ordered it

mobil 1 $9.50 per qt

if the redline is that much better i don't mind paying the extra money

fxstdavew

Try and see if you like it. Bottom line any oil even amsoil works, provided it's changed when it is supposed to be changed. Find one that make you feel confident and is easy to get and run it.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

wayzalot

I just changed to Mobile 1V twin Synthetic and got 5 quarts and a filter for $29 at autozone  . Clean synthetic oil is the main thing.  Availability and price also is important.
"My life is based on a true story"

WVULTRA

After running the Mobil1 V-Twin for several years, and being able to get it at a good price via the area Wal-Marts, they all decided to quit stocking it.

Ordered the Red Line Big Twin 20W50 PowerPack which included the oil, Shockproof Heavy for trans, and MTL for Primary.  As you noted, a definite price increase when you factor in the shipping; but no sales tax. 

While I have no problem using the Red Line as I think they are excellent products, the local Advance Auto Parts has started stocking the Mobil1 V-Twin and I can get a jobber price there.  However, I will continue to use the ShockProof Heavy and MTL since the SPH is a bit less expensive than what I can purchase the Spectro Platinum 6-Speed for.

Mobil1 V-Twin is my first choice for the engine; Red Line would be my second.

HTHs........

;)

'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

PoorUB

Quote from: hotbagger1 on November 02, 2008, 06:02:54 PM
so my question is since mobil 1 v-twin synthetic is pretty easy to get in my area should i switch ? is it as good as redline what do you think ?

Personally, I would not buy any of them and just buy the regular Mobil 1 from Walmart for $20-$25 per 5 quart jug. I don't think any oil is worth more money, or that much better than any other, (within reason) to go through the bother of ordering or paying extra for. IMO most any 20w-50 oil will run fine in your HD. No way I would pay $12 a quart for oil when I can buy a good quality oil for less than 1/2 the price!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

dave_9113

Super Tech oil from Walmart  20W50 -$1.88 a quart.  Super tech oil filter- ~$2.50. Under $11 for a change. 

I'm just saying that's it's mighty tempting to go back to dino.  Walmart stopped stocking Mobil 15W50.  WTF over?

dave

maineultraclassic

I've been using Mobil 1 15w-50 in the 5qt jug from Walmart, $23...........no problems at all.

Now, the guy at Walmart said that Mobil 1 is redoing their formulas and won't have any Mobil 1 on the shelf until like February. Not sure how accurate his info was, but the stuff is disappearing quickly.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

texaskatfish

We get redline from my oil shop online - $9.55 or so per quart

Autozone here in S.E. Texas still has Mobil1 V-tiwn 20W/50 (or they had it a week ago)
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

timetraveler

I get mine from Edwards engines in Albuq. They seem to always have it in stock.
But for those time when they don't, I order direct from Redline, they ship pretty fast
but with a little pre planning I always have oil..