April 27, 2024, 08:30:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'85 flhtc clutch replacement

Started by Hammerit-, August 27, 2010, 09:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerit-

Hello,
Been a while since I posted last...been working on a car project...
I am needing a little insight on installing a new clutch or clutch discs on my 1985 FLHTC.

Its on the last adjustment and seems to be starting to slip again....the bike only has
46K on the original clutch.

Looking for a good clutch kit (steel plates and discs) and wonder would I also need to
replace the diaphragm spring and/or anything else while in there...??

Thanks,
Hammerit-

Hammerit-

baldoldfxr

I fitted the Rivera pro clutch on my 86 , nicely made, bulletproof, well worth the money  :up:

Mark222

I am running a Barnett Kevlar clutch set in my 85.  Even a new OEM unit was slipping when I final got fed up and went aftermarket..]  Been great, no issues at all with now 30+ K miles.

About $100 if I recall, running OEM basket.

Mark

JohnS_Rosamond

In the original 1988 clutch, I ran the Barnett kevlar clutch plates and really liked that.  Never slipped on me and disengaged better than other plates I'd tried.  Make sure to be nice to the inner hub.  The replacement steel hubs just don't seem to be able to hold onto the steel bolts that hold down the diaphragm.  I didn't get fed up with the OEM clutch 'til I had to replace the inner hub with the steel replacement.

smittyon66

:agree: I'm running the barnett clutch in my 84
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

guido4198

Barnett Kevlar is all you need. The "Clutch Hub Drum" is the weak link in those bikes. My FXR is on her third one. 

Not griping or complaining....that's in 238,000 mi.
Just sayin'...

SnS107

When I put an S&S 107 motor in the 1986 FXRD I wound up running a Rivera Primo Pro Clutch. I tried several milder fixes, different clutch material, heavy duty diaphragm spring, etc. but nothing would hold the extra torque. With the Rivera, it was end of story; it never slipped again. The only drawback was that it was a little harder to find neutral when stopped and idling in gear, i.e. at a red light. I found that running lighter oil in the primary took care of most of that, and I learned to slip it into neutral while still rolling up to red lights, just befor stopping.
Last year I swapped over to a 1993-1997 tranny, starter and clutch setup. I still have the Rivera out in the garage. It had about 10,000 miles on it, and still has many, many miles left on it.
IF YOU WANT IT, I'd sell it for $125 plus shipping. I think it is item #620-607 in J&P's catalog. They list it for about $500, and that's about what I recall paying for it.

Joe H

Hammerit-

Joe, Thanks, I appreciate the offer, however ended up going with just the new kevlar plates.
A little cheaper...not much but every little bit helps.

Over the past seven years this old bike has performed flawlessly...Seems now it started with the clutch,
then the spot light toggle switch, and a few more rattles....Its her turn to get some attention.

Thanks all.

Hammerit-
Hammerit-