April 28, 2024, 09:17:37 AM

News:

Are the Circuit Breakers Waterproof?

Started by Evo160K, December 16, 2008, 11:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evo160K

I'm updating my mechanical speedo and dash to an electronic speedo and dash.  To do this will involve moving the individual circuit breakers, the ones mounted on the rubber strip, to a more horizontal, exposed location.  Will water get into the CB and cause a problem?  TIA

Reddog74usa

There not water proof as they are not sealed. Water can get in there. Try putting a bead of silicone around the seam or looking for a different style breaker if they have em, that is sealed if you must mount them in an exposed location.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Evo160K

Reddog,
Our local h-d phd said not to worry.  He said those breakers under the dash are the same as the one mounted on front of the rear wheel splashguard (softail).  As you know that one gets pounded with tons of water.  I hope he's right, I'd like to be positive about it.

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Flat Dog

Just advice, but I would make sure to coat those posts in dielectric grease as well as follow RedDog's suggestion in regards to using flexible silicone seal (rough up the surfaces a little first) on the seam between the metal and plastic body. Cheap insurance. ;)

Flat Dog

If you really want to do it the easy but mussey way, just slapther the whole breaker in water repelling bearing grease. Looks like an accident, but it works. ;)

Evo160K

I'm going to drop one is a glass of water and see if there are any bubbles.  That should be a pretty fair test.

Xanadu

Im sure water will get into the circuit breaker if you put it in a glass of water.  Sealing the breaker with silicone rubber will just hold the moisture in allowing the contacts to corrode.  A circuit breaker is normally closed to allow the current to flow through it.  by filling it with water Im thinking that the circuit will not see a fault and your bike will operate just fine.  I would think the circuit breaker would fail to open if a short circuit condition were to happen if it were filled with water.  There is a breaker mounted on the rear wheel mud flap under the bike.  that is the same kind of breaker as the ones under the dash.  I have never known of an issue with water on these components.  Let us know how the water test goes... fill one with water then put it on the bike and see if the bike starts...