April 30, 2024, 01:18:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1972 front cylinder 16464-72a

Started by heavyhitter, August 28, 2010, 01:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heavyhitter

Looking for a front cylinder for my 72 sportster wrist pin went sideways and killed my joy on the one I have been running.

if you have one and want to part company with it please let me know.

thanks

eglideic

The place to look would be at the Davenport meet this week.

heavyhitter

ricochet

Do you know what the fire ring OD measures out?  I might have one that I bought in error.

ricochet

heavyhitter

heavyhitter

Richet, the od measurement of the fire ring is 3.330-3.335 varies slightly as circumfrance is gauged.

eglideic

September 04, 2010, 10:17:51 PM #6 Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:24:52 PM by eglideic
 Beware.
I believe that 72 was a transition year and if I remember right they were unique to that year only, and are scarce as hens teeth.

ricochet

I didn't have another set or loose one.  Both are late 73 and up and already fitted for pistons. Sorry I couldn't help.

ricochet

heavyhitter

Thanks guys, yes Eglide 72 and early 73 are unique, problematic, and very rare in runnable shape consequently.  72 is the first year for the 1000cc mill as you all know and it was a learning experience getting it right, ergo the configuration switch in mid 73.

I did find an entire top end from the rocker boxes down from a 77 which will bolt right up, so problem solved but at greater expense and effort.

feebes

My brother has a 72 XLCH, looking to sell. Motor is in really good condition,tach drive hole never broke,never rebored,has S&S shorty E now but has the original Keihn. bike has 6'' extended forks, otherwise stock. If interested e-mail at feebes@charter.net or call 920-470-9821
feebes

saltcaveminer

just another option: you can resleeve the 72 jugs.i had my early 73 barn bike resleeved with no problem.Salty

feebes

Making correction on 72 XLCH, does not have stock Keihin, but stock Tillotson.
Sorry about the mistake. feebes.
feebes

heavyhitter

Thanks Salty and Feebs.

Feebs can you tell me in what state the bike is located?

feebes

Bike is located in N.E. WI.,50 E. of Green Bay. Stock carb is a Bendix.
feebes

heavyhitter

just found one and bought it on ebay.
seller says it is 20 over and will clean up at 30 over.

we will see when it gets here.

if it is good that will be a fine deal