April 27, 2024, 04:27:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

remove clutch hub nut

Started by hbkeith, December 17, 2008, 08:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

86 fxst,wandering a good way to hold clutch hub to remove nut,bike is already striped down,wasnt planning on pulling primary but am now,ive got a tool made for my shovelheads,but these evos are new to me,suggestions?

Porkchop

I've always had good luck with a rolled up shop towel feed into the clutchhub teeth and the primary chain.  Some people use an plastic, steel or wood wedge that has been cut to length.  If you look around you maybe able to locate the measurements for that tool.
PC
Gun Powder & Women, live by one, die by the other and love the smell of both!

rdkng

I do the rag stuff also.  I believe the clutch hub nut is a lefty thread
& requires a deep socket if I'm recalling correctly.
rdkng 
Happy Motoring, Road King George

fdrdr1

I cut up an old plastic kitchen cutting board, about 4 inches by 1.5, then wrap a rag around it and place it between the sprocket and chain - works real good.

kiwidave

shovelhead-fitting jam bar should also work on a Softail...8.5in long and an inch thick, for teeth to teeth placement...

FSG

guido4198

Left Hand thread...
Put it back on with purple loc-tite and 55-60 ft.-lbs. of torque. 
That said...if you ever have the experience of pulling in your clutch handle, and find that it comes all the way to the grip with no appreciable tension or resistance, and your cable isn't broken....Be advised...it's Not 'cause you're superman. Pull the derby cover and check this one before you do anything else. If the nut is tight...go to the opposite side of the bike, and pull the Clutch Release Cover( a small amount of tranny oil will come out, but No Big Deal, unless somebody calls the EPA. :hyst:..!!) and check the Release Finger to see if it's still in one piece.  When that breaks, it's a pretty easy roadside fix...IF you are carrying a spare(.. :idea:.you do carry a spare don't you.. :idea:.)??? I've had 2 of those fail on my '85. The third one is in there now, and a spare in my saddlebag. To be fair...that's 2 in 214,000 mi. Not griping...but you don't want a trip spoiled and a big tow bill, etc,etc....if it's something you can easily do roadside.
Guido's 2 cents.