What year/model CV carburetor will fit 89 1200?

Started by Colorabee, December 17, 2008, 06:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorabee

I have an 89' 1200 Sportster with a stumble I can't seem to get rid of.  I'm to the point I would like to try changing out the carb to see if that will fix the problem.  I've been looking on Ebay hoping to pick up a used one on the cheep, but I need to know what year/model of carburetor will fit on my 89' Sporty.  Can someone help me please.
Thanks,
-Colorabee-

CraigArizona85248

Your '89 1200 should already have a CV on it.  Why not just tear it down and rebuild it?  Pretty much any of the Keihin CVs will work on your bike, but any that you buy will need to be rejetted for your setup.

Do you have one of the real early CVs that doesn't have an accelerator pump?  That could explain the stumble.

-Craig

Colorabee

Mine has the accelerator pump.  I've tried rebuilding it; in fact I've had it apart three times and tried all sorts of different jet combos and idle mixture settings.  Before I declare the carb is not the problem, I'd just like to try a different one.  Possibly even a Mikuni.

-Colorabee-

mayor

where's the stumble at (rpm's)?  define stumble- dead spot (rich) or cough (lean)? what's the rest of the build? what needle are you running?  have you checked for manifold and vacumm leaks?
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Colorabee

Wannabmayor,
The bike is completely stock except for adjustable pushrods and s&s lifters. K&n filter.  Had Cycle shack mufflers, but changed back to stock pipes and mufflers trying to get the stumble out.  Stumble is at 2000 rpm.  Runs fine untill you get to 2000 then stumbles (coughs) then runs fine once you get through that rpm.  Stock needle, but tried an 88' needle and verious combinations of shims.  Other than playing with the jets and needle and the Idle mixture the carb is unmodified.  Now running just the stock needle no shim, 175 main and 45 slow.  replaced the intake seals and the robber seal between the carb and the manifold.  Nothing I've tried seems to get rid of the stumble.

Colorabee

I fixed the stumble!  Turns out it was the ignition module.  I started playing around with the VOES and discovered the RPM did not change when I disconnected the switch.  Checked it with the mighty vac and the switch was functioning correctly.  Then I discovered if I tapped on the ignition module with a screwdriver handle, sometimes it would start to run fine.  Bad news was the original Ignition module which sold for $140 is no longer available, new replacement ignition is $225, and requires a wiring harness kit not included, which cost an additional $45.  Of course I didn't find this out until after waiting for three weeks for the new ignition to arrive.  Fortunately the local dealership had the harness in stock.  New ignition is installed and now all is right with the world again.

Hossamania

Good job on diagnosing your problem and sticking with it! And thanks for posting the results. I love a happy story!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.