April 27, 2024, 05:51:31 AM

News:

Generators

Started by Rumblefeesh, December 18, 2008, 04:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumblefeesh

Hey, I am normally in the Shovelhead section - a guy in our factory recently picked up a 79 sportster and asked me if I knew where to get a generator - looking some up I see a lot of new aftermarket for "79-84", but they all say 1000cc - some make a distinction between electric start and kick start.

What are the real differences that impact selection and any other advice anyone can offer on this topic. Such as things to check out before replacing the entire generator, etc.

Thanks

eglideic

Is the generator missing? If not, just take it to a shop and have it tested. It could need brushes, a new armature, new field coils, of it might just need cleaning and the contacts fixed up. I have a growler and could do it for you.

saltcaveminer

the 79 is 1000cc.12volt sporty generators will work.cycle electric makes a good new generator.parts are available to rebuild the stock generator.Salty

Hillside Motorcycle

We stock NOTHING but Cycle Electric, charging system parts.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

saltcaveminer

you can bench check a generator as follows.bat + to gen A.bat- to gen F.hold gen on the bench and add another wire from bat - to the frame of the generator.the generator will run if all is good.Salty