May 01, 2024, 09:48:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

break replacement

Started by triumphbruce, December 18, 2008, 05:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumphbruce

looking at replacing the rear break on my 73 to get rid of the stock set up
any recommendations.

Lew

PM makes some very nice brake goodies.....spendy but nice.  GMA is popular....ehh.  Stock can be rebuilt and upgraded to be pretty good.  Lyndall brake pads and quality rotors really make a big difference on the stock stuff. 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

rkrcpa

I recently upgraded the brakes on my '80 FLH using a modified 200? Sportster rear caliper. The difference in braking is incredible, and for the first time in 20+ years I have no rattle from a banana caliper. The quiet is eerie.

randallwhitman

I'm with Lewy.....got Performance Machine four piston calipers on all three rotors.  Also upgraded to Lyndall pads.  Stops like a Japanese sport bike now.  Randy    :wink:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

stroker800

The TC stuff is a simple upgrade and works well,,,,or  go with any good jap stuff such as Nissin ,Brembo,Wilwood . You will need to fab a bracket...check out fabricator kevin.
Dave

ST40

I've got GMA's front and rear on my 73 FLH.    Direct replacements and huge improvement over stock bannana calipers. :smiled:        Marty
Marty

oldrlh

l'm going along with rkrcpa but a little further 2005 4 spots on pan swingarm as well as 4 spot on the front, big difference.cheers Ross.

gryphon

Go to www.fabkevin.com  He's got some great stuff at really reasonable prices. I'm running one of his old school rear brakes. He makes adapter brackets and supplies the calipers also. He uses mostly tokiko and Nissan calipers from Jap super sport bikes. Very nice.

amfspyder

I ended up going with PM brakes for my 77, they are just ok, and that's as much as I will promote them. The upgraded stock system that rkrcpa has a picture of looks like a great system to use.

Unclelaffey

OK rkrcpa, I get that the old banana caliper rattled a bit, but those look like straight pipes on that bike - what part of that setup is quiet? The second best thing about the drag pipes on my Low Rider was not being able to hear that rattling.

My replacement choice was GMA. Probably not as slick as PM, but better suited to my budget and they work pretty well.

rkrcpa

I had replaced the front some years ago with a GMA and the improvement was considerable. The Sportster brake on the rear seemed like an interesting solution and has proven very effective. As far as the drag pipes, around town in stop and go traffic the rattling was bad. Every time I hit a bump you'd think parts were falling off (always a possibility). I switched to staggered duals this past summer but I may switch back. I miss the sound of the drag pipes. It's just not the same.