May 09, 2024, 01:13:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1" axle kits?

Started by 92flhtcu, September 14, 2010, 03:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

92flhtcu

1993 FXDL Lowrider, dual front disc, does anyone make a 1" axle kit/upgrade for this? It has the 9 spoke cast rear and 40 spoke laced front. Looking at different wheels and it seems nobody has decent selections of wheels for these..I'm not looking to spend $2500 on a set of blingy wheels but like the HD Thunderstar wheels which can be had somewhat more econimical..

Thnkas in advance!
Rob
Need a bigger garage

BikerBill1968

September 14, 2010, 04:28:25 AM #1 Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 04:39:40 AM by BikerBill1968
I have 08 take off chrome spokes on my 1991 FLH.

Any bike shop should be able to get you the bearings to use with your 3/4 axles, about 20.00 each

The inner spacer (crunch tube) needs to be replaced, not sure there is a kit for that,  I used 3/4 inch id tubing and made my own.

gryphon

I have doe it a few times on different bikes and it's pretty easy as already stated by bikerbill. The 1" bearings are swapped out for 3/4" bearings which are available at a bearing supply or on line. At your dealers too for more than twice the cost. The center hole on your rotors and pulley need to be opened up to the correct size or else replaced with late model stuff. You may need to make spacers. Mock 'em up first using pvc pipe then just have em made when you got the sizes right. It sounds more difficult then it really is. A couple of years ago they started using 25mm axles which I am not familiar with but the 1" axles are a sinch.

92flhtcu

Need a bigger garage