April 28, 2024, 12:26:43 AM

News:

94 fxr tranny help?

Started by hotbo, December 18, 2008, 08:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbo

hey guys my ole mans 94 fxr has the stock original tranny in it with around 50,000 miles.it has  113 s-s mill in it.this past summer it has started whinning and making some funny noises in 3rd and fourth gear.started out not so bad then getting worse to the point of having to fix it.

my question is what is needed to re-build the 5 speed tranny.i have re-built several 4 speeds for shoveys before but no 5 speeds. what in your opinion would make this noise bearings,bushings,ect.it has had a rough life with the power of the 113 and him beating on it every once in awhile,lol!!!

any help or advice as to what to do is appreciated.i can wrench on anything so im not afraid to re-build.thanks guys travis  :smiled:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

gryphon

Probably the easiest, and cheapest way to rebuild a 5 speed is to simply buy a used take out gear cluster set off of ebay. A lot of guys had the dealers replace their 5 speed internals with 6 speed before or shortly after taking possesion of their new bikes. They'll usually come already assembled on the trapdoor. All you need to do is pull your trapdoor assembly with the gears already on it (after removing the shift drum and shift forks), have the main drive gear (5th gear mainshaft) pushed out of your case and have the new one (along with a new main bearing) installed. Replace the countershaft bearing and install the whole assembly. Pretty easy. There's one small spot your'll need to file to clear the shift mechanism but it's obvious and only takes a second. These take out sets will  usualy go for under $200 with shippig. Of course this is not in indepth description of how to do it but it does give you the jist of it. It's a very easy swap. With a little help from the members it should be a snap. It can even be done with the case still in the frame.

hotbo

so your saying use the twin cam style gear sets????maybe ive read it wrong.

if so sounds good.i dont mind buying used gear sets just not junk dont want to do it over again :down:

Buddy WMC

Hotbo,
Lots of ways to do things. If you can afford it, why not install the Baker 6 speed builders set in your case? The gear set will definately hold up to to your power, the shifter drum is better, the tranny shifts like butter and everything is included. The bonus part is the sixth gear, all things considered it makes a big difference and was the best money I ever spent.

hotbo

Quote from: Buddy WMC on December 18, 2008, 10:15:38 AM
Hotbo,
Lots of ways to do things. If you can afford it, why not install the Baker 6 speed builders set in your case? The gear set will definately hold up to to your power, the shifter drum is better, the tranny shifts like butter and everything is included. The bonus part is the sixth gear, all things considered it makes a big difference and was the best money I ever spent.

well we live in the mountains and none of us like 6 speeds.he has his gear ratio set for what he likes and wants to stick with a 5 speed.i know ive heard it before well he doesnt have to use the 6th gear and so on-but i already went threw this with him and his 07 streetglide he bought changing gear ratios to suite him and i dont want to do it again,lol!!!!!!!!!he is 64 years old and doesnt like getting on the interstate anymore and riding 75 plus.we generally always take alternate route to stay away from interstates :angry:we hate them.speed limit in arkansas is 55mph and we live in the qauchita mountains.

thanks for the advice and if he wanted to spend that kinda money it would be option.thanks travis

gryphon

yeah, you can use the Twin Cam stuff. With the exception of the improved shift drum assembly and shift pawl they were all the same internals from '94 up to at least '06 on the softails and touring models. not so sure about the late dyna's. The only real difference would maybe be an extra ear or something on the trapdoor on one or another models that were used to mount various brackets. If that's the case and the new one didn't have the ear you needed then just swap everything over to your trapdoor. No big deal. If you decide to go this way there's a few of us here that can walk you thru it. There's also a shifter pawl bushing/spacer you'll need that doesn't show up in the parts books but I have the correct number and it can be ordered from HD.

hotbo

Quote from: gryphon on December 18, 2008, 12:05:00 PM
yeah, you can use the Twin Cam stuff. With the exception of the improved shift drum assembly and shift pawl they were all the same internals from '94 up to at least '06 on the softails and touring models. not so sure about the late dyna's. The only real difference would maybe be an extra ear or something on the trapdoor on one or another models that were used to mount various brackets. If that's the case and the new one didn't have the ear you needed then just swap everything over to your trapdoor. No big deal. If you decide to go this way there's a few of us here that can walk you thru it. There's also a shifter pawl bushing/spacer you'll need that doesn't show up in the parts books but I have the correct number and it can be ordered from HD.

sweet thanks :up: ill start looking on e-bay :wink:

hotbo

okay bought a complete gear set with trap door off of ebay for 130 bucks  :up: said it has 4200 miles on it and looked good in the pics.so when i get started maybe you fellas will help me threw it.  :idea:

do i need a trap door puller?anything other specialty tools neede?thanks travis

gryphon

Congratulations, I had my eye on that one too but decided not to buy one until after xmas. I've never had to use a trapdoor puller before so I wouldn't jump into that one too quickly. You are gonna need a new main bearing since they shouln't be resused once they're pressed out. You will also need a countershaft bearing (the one in the case), top and side cover gaskets, new retainer rings for the bearing, and the new shifter shaft bushing/spacer. Once you have your primary off and the tranny apart you can bring in the whole bike to have the bearings and the main drive gear pressed out and in. That way you don't have to pull the tranny out of the FXR (a pain).

gryphon

I have the part number for the shifter shaft bushing/spacer but cannot access it right now. I just got a new computer with vista and need to get Word before I can open any of my word documents. This part does not show up in the parts catalogs for some reason but it can be ordered.

14Frisco

Gryphon, fyi, you can download a Word Viewer for free at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3657CE88-7CFA-457A-9AEC-F4F827F20CAC&DisplayLang=en.  It allows you to view and print Word docs.

Buddy WMC

Long as you are doing this, might want to think about a heavier duty shifter shaft pawl assembly. That HD $2.00 spring has a tendency to break. If you replace it with a new stock HD spring, what's the benefit? Jim's and Baker both make heavier duty replacements. The Baker also has an anti-overshift feature that's worth considering.

gryphon

The later style shift pawl is an improved design. don't know for sure how it compares to the im's or Baker but it's much improved over the old model.

gryphon

The part numbers for the shift shaft spacer/bushing is  HD 34979-00. They also changed the centering screw although as I recall I used my old one. The new number is HD 34978-00. Your FXR probably has the early neutral sending unit on the top of the tranny cover (single pole). You will need to change to the later style which has two poles. One goes to ground and the other goes to the neutral light just like the old one. One other thing that is a matter of choice. They changed the tranny top cover slightly. It still fits. The only difference you will see is that the neutral light will also come on in high gear. Doesn't bother me so I left it that way.

By the way, 14Frisco, thanks for the link to microsoft for the Word reader.

Evo1

The transmission in my 90 flhtc also needs to be gone through. Will the twin cam gear sets work in the 90?

Thanks, Steve

gryphon

If I had to take a guess I would say that since all the guts are being changed out that it would probably work but I would want a second opinion on that. When checking in my '98 parts book most of the numbers go back far enough and since the late stuff will fit in a '98 then I would guess also in the '90 which has esentially  the same case. 1990 was a transitional year and had a one year only mainshaft. The bearings are the same though and I would really be surprised to find out it wouln't work. You might have to change out to a later style clutch but I'm not positive. If that were the case then you could swap out to the '98 and up clutch which is plentiful on ebay,