May 08, 2024, 06:46:05 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Wideband sensor life

Started by DaleW, September 17, 2010, 02:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaleW

Interested to know what sort of degradation the "wideband" sensors suffer with time/mileage? Any observations from long time TMax users?

Dale
2009 RoadKing Classic

Dennis The Menace

Ran mine for 12k miles, no issues.

You will get some varied responses here, because there are many variables that impact their life, especially where in the pipe they are located and how much heat they get subjected to. 

menace

glens

And vibration.

Are they really more feeble than switching sensors?  Probably not physically.  But they have a controller which usually assumes some things, so you can see operation that's apparently issue-free but isn't really.  While this also occurs with switching sensors, the level of magnitude can be different between them, largely because of the greater distance from "lambda" the "wide"bands usually operate.

I've seen documentation which states ~20k miles on unleaded gasoline is about the limit before replacement is warranted, the way they typically get used on Harleys.

DaleW

thanks glens, I guess $100 every 20k miles isnt going to break the bank.
2009 RoadKing Classic

hotroadking

Quote from: glens on September 17, 2010, 03:05:03 PM
I've seen documentation which states ~20k miles on unleaded gasoline is about the limit before replacement is warranted, the way they typically get used on Harleys.

Well on most they should last 10 years then LOL

Dennis The Menace

As to prove my point, Bosch has stated 100,000 miles in "bench testing" environment from the LSU4 O2s.  And, only way to test them is with a meter to measure performance degradation.  You can do that, or plan to replace every 15-25K miles.  They may likely last longer, then again maybe not.

menace