April 27, 2024, 07:46:01 AM

News:

last year of the 45" flatty

Started by garyajaz, September 19, 2010, 09:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyajaz

was at dealer party.  had tirvia quiz. 
i lost last question.  what was the last year a 45" flat head was produced by the factory?

iiggii

garyajaz

YOU WIN.
i was thinking flat-knuck-pan -gen shovel-alt shovel-evo-twinky
but 1973????  i bought a new superglide that year. and had a sporty.  did not see any 45 flatheads on the floor.  sheesh
meter maid servi car.
i told them i know motorcycles not 3 wheelers...
yeah, was pissed

CraigArizona85248

Yep... they sold those servi-cars for a long time.  Funny, they were also the first electric start Harley.  Beat the '65 ElectraGlide (last year Panhead) to the push button by a year or two.

-Craig

Dogbone45ACP

Honolulu PD got the last of the servicars,1973 or so.

greybeard_541

Saw one of the later year models at the Redwood Run that had an alternator on the front where the gen used to be...

gryphon

My very first Harley was an old post war 45". I traded a siezed up Yamaha 305 and two pounds of Mexican dirt weed for it. That was in 1969, man was I jazzed.

Hillside Motorcycle

I do believe that '73 was it.
We currently have a '62 engine/trans for be-build in now. :smile:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

wfolarry

The Chicago police used them for years. A big alternator hanging off the front.
At the local dealer the 3 wheelers are a hot item. A lot of old guys that had to give up riding are gettin' back in the saddle.

Pzokes

The Chicago three wheelers also had the shifter on the right.  Throttle Masters picked up a lot of Chicago PD three wheeler parts when they got rid of them.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

Ultrashovel

The Servicar was the Model G. I've seen some of them with alternators and even with a reverse gear unit. As mentioned, they built them until '73.

IIRC, the solo 45' was built until around 1952 or '53. They were a great little machine. I owned three of the 1942 WLA (ex Army) models when I was a kid in Chicago.