May 03, 2024, 10:58:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

06-FLHTCUI Top fork cap bolt size?

Started by hdjax2, December 18, 2008, 01:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdjax2

Changing the fork oil this weekend in my Ultra. I need a project, I'm bored. Anyhow can someone tell me the size of the top caps so I can pick up a wrench if I dont already have it. Thanks, David
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

hdjax2

Also any advise would be welcome, do's & dont's or shortcuts while I'm in there. Thanks :wink:
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

WVULTRA

'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

harleyjt

The size iirc is 1 3/8".  The Motion Pro socket above is the way to go.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

hdjax2

I finally got around to changing the fork oil last night. Only took about 45 minutes and it would have been quite a bit quicker had I not gotten the ignition switch / fork lock mechanism out of synch. That was quite interesting to get re- aligned without the special tool but once I figured out how it worked I just used a screwdriver to line everything up. It's a good thing I didn't follow the directions in the service manual or I'd still be working on it. All I did was remove the ignition switch cover and pull the top cap bolts, drained the fluid and measured what came out with a graduated cylinder. Refilled tubes with the same amount that came out but went with the Belray 20 wt. I learned the hard way filling the first one that you can only pour about half the oil in before it will overflow, had to re-drain that one and start over. What worked was to pour in half and then stroke the forks a few times slowly then finish filling them. I know there those of you out there who will say I should have done it exactly by the book and removed the fork tubes and obtained all the special tools etc... etc... But I'm sure there are also a few of you out there who  just want to change the oil. It's not a difficult job if you want to take some shortcuts. Just sayin :smiled:
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

WVULTRA

hdjax2:

I followed the same procedure over 6k miles ago and the front end feels great!

What really surprised me was the color/condition of the old fork oil.  Looked like mine water, real nasty looking.  And I changed it at 20k.  Service Manual says to change at 50k.  Bad advise IMO!

BTW I found out the hard way, as you did, about filling it slowly/half way then bounce the front end. :embarrassed:  Won't let that happen again!

Cya

:beer:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

PosseRider

It sure is a mess to clean up when filled too fast.    :angry:
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio