April 27, 2024, 09:54:17 AM

News:

"chirp" noise on shut down?

Started by choseneasy, September 22, 2010, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choseneasy

Got a bike that gives a little chirp thru the air cleaner on shut-down. Sounds like air escaping thru the throttle plate(delphi inj) Anybody else experience this? Bike has new cams, umbrella valves lifters etc. Did it before and after (had a bad inner cam bearing). Thanks in advance.

hrdtail78

My 06 does it.  I think it's the IAC.  Been doing it for a couple of years.  I dont worry about it.
Semper Fi

bigfoot5x

My wife's bike does the same thing on a fairly regular basis and is 3 years old now. It is stock except for air cleaner and mufflers. Mine does it occasionally. My bike is an 07 also but is now a 103 with 10:1 compression and an Andrews cam. We've never had any problem associated with the noise.

Rags722

Find something new to worry about. It's perfectly normal during shutdown on a Delphi system

truck

It happened on my MM system from time to time also.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

dakota224

harleyjt

Mine does it too. Kind of a sneeze.  Normal. 
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

rbabos

September 22, 2010, 07:13:59 PM #7 Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:20:55 PM by rbabos
It's just air blowing past the throttle plate when the piston doesn't quite get over the hump and rebounds back on a shutdown. Sometimes you can even see vapour floating up from the breather after the sqeak sound.
Ron

Jeffd

Mix01FLHT

Hell, my ex wife even did it.....    :hyst:

But I solved that problem.... :potstir:
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

FLTRI

From my experience most all the time it is from the rubber vent flaps in the rocker boxes that get a bit hard over time and act kinda like a reed instrument when the engine shuts down the crankcase relieves itself making a whistle sound.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

choseneasy

Sorry, been away. I used to think it was always the umbrella's but I had just changed them. It is thru the throttle plate--I was wondering if a bent throttle shaft or a plate that was closing in the bore too much. Thanks for the replies.
  P.S. I knew a shop that chased a chirp on a sportster years ago-- they did settle on the umbrella's.