May 01, 2024, 04:28:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gail's KC 25% off one part coupon

Started by ukrmh, December 18, 2008, 06:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukrmh

I received an automated email today from Gail's Harley Davidson in KC.  It contained a coupon for 25% off any one item, excluding motorcycles.  I am pasting the link to the coupon, so anyone can print it that wants to buy a part or something.  It is good till Dec 24. 
Bob 

http://archives.subscribermail.com/msg/2d556353defc48f58c8cf53c33025f7a.htm

Panzer

UK,
Thanks for the thought on the savings.  :up:
I don't think I'll be saving any $$$, as the plane fare would probably be the deciding factor.
Not to mention, food, lodging, rental car and return flight.
I live in Pennsylvania.  :embarrassed:

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

ukrmh

Panzer
Use frequent flyer miles!  Gail's modified the ad in the KC Star today, and now it is 25% off "purchases"!  I stopped there today and picked up a service manual, and the parts guy said it now applied to one, or as many parts as you want.  You gotta be careful, though.  Sometimes, the parts ring up at over msrp as stated in the parts catalog, so you have to "remind" them at checkout to lower the listed price to msrp before taking the discount, and then they take the discount from there.  For example, a black $8.95 oil filter rings up at $10.49.  Unless you tell the parts guy that it has rung up incorrectly, they take the 25% off of $10.49, not $8.95.  Reading in this forum, it seems a lot of dealers do this now!  Ride safe and stay warm!
Bob

Kansas

Gails's is a dealership I am considering buying my new bike from and appreciate any info of questionable or not questionable information about them.  My local dealership paints a dark film on the big city folk down the interstate, but throwing money away just isn't my thing.

ukrmh

Kansas
Check your email for a response to this.
Bob

blindspot

Gail's had a tent sale a couple years ago (I lived in Lee's Summit at the time), where I found matching front and rear pipes in bulk bins at the back of a parts tent.  $25 each ($50 total) for V&H Big Shots!  Because there were no returns, I asked the parts guy working the tent if they were for a Softail.  He went inside to check, came back and said they'd fit.  Wife carried them home accross her lap.  I went to put them on over the winter, and they wouldn't fit. 

I went back to the dealership to see if I could find out what bike they were for so I could sell them on ebay.  The parts manager said they were for a Dyna.  I told him what had happened, and he asked me what I paid for them.  I told him $50, and he offered to give me $50 off an in stock set of pipes that would fit, and I could keep the incorrect pipes and get what I could for them on ebay.  Between saving $50 on the in-stock pipes, and what I got for the wrong ones on ebay, my pipes were free!

I've never bought a bike there or had any major work done there, but they always used to get me in and out for tire changes, and parts always charged MSRP and let me know when special orders arrived so I didn't have to hound them.  Those were better times for them, I know, but they were always OK in my book.
Aurora, Colorado, USA

ukrmh

blindspot
There are lots of nice things for me to say about Gail's!  Aaron West is the best HD mechanic in the universe, and has gone the extra mile for me.  I love their free food year-round on Saturdays, and my wife loves their free coffee and hot chocolate!
They have lots of things going on there all of the time.  Also, I believe Gail has done a lot for the community.
The parts guy did a wonderful thing for you on those pipes, and I bet most dealers would just tell you to pound sand!
This 25% off sale is a step in the right direction for them, and maybe they are just trying to build floor traffic.  The economy sucks around here, as it does in most areas, so no doubt this is the reason they are doing this.
I have very little bad to say about them, except to watch them on parts pricing (they will correct an inflated parts price to msrp if you ask them), and they tend to be over msrp on the more popular bikes- at least when you ask them the price originally.
Stay warm!  Go Chiefs!
Bob

HD WOLF

Hey you folks in the ks. mo. area fill out your profiles maybe we might know each other :idea:
Some folks dont like cretin dealers for one reason or another. their just like car dealers some good some bad.
I dont believe you will find another dealer that compares to the friendliness and service she provides. they will go out of there way to help you, come and pick you up when your far away or do what ever it takes to get you on the road again.
I am a local HOG  American heartland chapter member and I don't know of or have seen any dealer in the country that supports  a chapter like Gail does. She might be a little higher on prices but they do care about you after the sale.  :up:
R P

dmrdn

I went in there 3 years ago and asked about a bike.  They gave me a price of 4K over list on Dyna Super Glide.  Give me a break.  Told them I do not pay over MSRP for anything.  They told me it was a supply and demand thing.  I looked around and I was the only person on the floor looking at a bike.  Told them I saw a lot of supply and very little demand.  Then they told me that there were only 52 MSRP dealers in the US.  I took a business trip the next week to MN and the first dealer I walked into gave me a MSRP price.  Went back to them and told them what I found and it was 1 full tank of gas away and then they gave me a price of 3 k over MSRP.  Needless to say I did not buy the bike from them.  Went to KS side and MSRP.

I have bought several items from them over the last 3 years.  Times must be getting hard for them, because last week they called me and asked if I still had my bike and why I had not been i to buy anything lately.  Told them I had all I needed at the time.

They do have one of the best dyno guys around.  You will see him on the boards here as Ridgidthumper.  Robin is his first name.  Knows his stuff not only on the dyno but knows how to put them together to make the numbers and to stay together.

Kansas

December 22, 2008, 06:27:34 PM #9 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:39:49 AM by Kansas
Apparently Gail's has lots of attributes but bargains on new bikes is not one of them.  Since this appears to be a Kansas/Missouri area thread tangent, and I am in the market for a new bike, does anybody have a suggestion as to what area dealers might be an option for me to pursue?  I can pay MSRP 8 minutes from home but I find it hard to believe I won't be able to find some real savings or worthwhile incentives in this economic environment.  I know exactly what I want and have the cash to make it happen. Harleys are a commidity like any other product for goodness sakes. If the dealerships are so proud of them they don't want to make a sale, well, I just don't get it. I'll just keep the money in the bank or maybe do something different this time like a Triumph Bonneville or Roadstar.  There are other options and motorcycling is more than a branding ego trip for me. I've owned other brands and still get the wave. It reminds me how GM went from owning the marketplace to whimpering for a public bailout. Maybe Harley has some of those same clever strategic thinkers figuring it is business as usual while the ship sinks. How much production have they cut in the last several months? What is their stock selling for? If I buy something else they can cut production by one more bike. :duel:

ukrmh

Kansas
I started this thread with a note to other HTT'ers about a nice discount on parts at Gail's HD in Grandview, and it seems to have expanded in its scope.  That's ok, though, because this what HTT is all about.
You may have to travel north of the KC area if you want to get a better deal on a new bike.  I have heard that dealers in Iowa are more receptive to price reductions.  I don't think any of the KC dealers will sell you a bike for under msrp outright with no trade, especially the more popular ones like the Touring models. 
Fact is, I believe all of the KC dealers are owned by just 2 families, and they tend NOT to want to complete on the basis of price, but rather differentiate themselves by customer service.  Gail's has outstanding customer service!
I moved here from a much larger city several years ago, and dealers there constantly had 20% off parts weekends.  There were almost 25 Harley dealers in that metro area then.  At that time, they did not discount bikes because Harleys were still relatively scarce; today they are more flexible, I am told. 
What model Harley are you looking to purchase?  Sportsters, Dyna's and V-Rods are not as popular and perhaps you could get a better price on one of them.  I would suggest you just get on the phone and call various dealers throughout the Midwest and get pricing, if you are willing to travel, with a trailer in this weather.  Whatever you do, though, get and "out the door" price; otherwise they will add ridiculous freight, dealer prep and doc fees to the quoted price.
I purchased a new Ultra at Blue Springs HD in June, and they gave me the best price in the area.  I did have a trade, which "muddies the waters" a little, but they still beat all others by $600. 
I got their best price, insured it was otd, and also negotiated a free 1000 mile service, too.  They also agreed to allow me to put the difference (substantial) on my credit card that paid me cash back.  Others had a limit on cc purchases, or did not allow it all on bike sales.
Bottom line: Once you know exactly what you want, since KC dealers apparently won't discount the price, try to get them to throw in things like free service, reduced price on extended warranty (if you want to buy one), temporary price reduction on parts, "gift coupons" that allow you to purchase parts and accessories after your purchase, etc.
Final option:  Look on ebay for bikes in the KC area for sale, and of course, peruse craigslist under motorcycles for sale.  There are some real bargains out there now for almost-new Harleys!  There is a "power seller" in Raytown with ebay user name "billyfenn" that sells a lot of late model, used Harleys cheap!  He now has 9 on ebay.  I don't know where he gets them, but he constantly has lots of them listed.  Over 400 sold and 100% positive feedback!  No, he's not my brother-in-law!  Link is below to his current auctions.
BTW, I sent you a private email after your first post, but never heard back from you.  Did you get it?
Ride safe, stay warm.
Bob

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/billyfenn_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Kansas

Hey, thanks for your insightful reply ukrmh.  If I am wasting my time off work beating the bushes in KC to pay basically what I have to pay just down the street there isn't much point.  Maybe my mistake is reading the Wall Street Journal about Toyota losing money, Honda sales down, GM and Chrysler running out of money, Harley stock down the chute and production abreviations, and think somebody will want to give a break and sell a bike to somebody that is in a position to buy one.  In a fashion I really regret selling my perfectly OK Low Rider thinking this would be a buyers oppportunity.  I want a Softail Deluxe and I want it in turquoise and white.  I don't need it, I don't have to buy it, and maybe I will,  and maybe I won't.  What I won't do is waste a bunch of my sliver of time off to go shopping in KC if it is the same old story as it is here. For that I really appreciate your input. Going to Iowa is just not going to happen.  It is astonishing HD dealers would rather lose a sale than make it.  What arrogance.  And yet I hear about Harley dealers folding nationwide. This summer I bought a new Chevy and got a deal that was a no brainer.  Buy the new Chevy at a great price or start putting money in my off warranty Acura RSX S Type that needed tires and another 6 speed rebuild. (Read lemon transmission design). I guess I am just frustrated.