May 02, 2024, 05:55:28 AM

News:

Clutch Cable...reckon it might be time..??

Started by guido4198, December 18, 2008, 07:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guido4198

1985 FXR....
Lately my clutch is engaging as soon as the lever gets off the grip a quarter inch or so. I've tried adjusting through the derby cover, without much change. Checked the throw out bearing and clutch push rod end....all look good. Near as I can figure, I've run this cable around 100,000 mi...give or take a few.
Reckon it's just time for a new one, or might something else be going on...???
Thanks,
G.

JamLazyAss

Guido,

I recon it's time for you to dip into your "First Communion Money"...   

100,000 miles... Buy a new cable :cry:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

ClassicRider2002

December 18, 2008, 10:47:37 PM #2 Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:51:28 PM by ClassicRider2002
".....FIRST COMMUNION MONEY....."  

:hyst:   

Now that is funny!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

codyshop

Is that a top-lever or side-cover cable tranny?  Ray

guido4198

OK...I think I get the message...!!!
It's a top-lever style.
Any special recommendations for a a good Clutch Cable, or just "go factory"...???
Thanks again, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to All...!!

Rags722

Sure hope someone can explain to me how a cable would cause this problem.  Sure, at 100,000 miles it may be time to replace the cable as a maint item, but I don't see how the cable can cause the problem described.  Once adjusted properly, an old cable should function just like a brand new one in my mind.  Seem to me something else is worn and not letting the pushrod go through it's normal range of motion.
Rags

guido4198

Hey Rags,
I guess that's why I posted this in the first place. I don't have the all-around experience that many of our fellow riders/wrenches possess, so I thought I'd ask. Left on my own...(never a good thing)..I'm thinking that the cable has stretched to the point that you have to be almost ALL the way to the grip before it dis-engages and that a shorter cable will disengage earlier in the lever travel. ?????????????????????
Anybody wanna chime in here...?????

truck

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that you adjusted the cable length.
You should be able to lengthen the cable.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

CraigArizona85248

When you release the clutch lever does it go all the way out our is there a lot of free play?

-Craig

guido4198

Cable length is not adjustable.
When I'm sitting at a light ( for example)...I'm holding the lever all the "back" against the grip. The Clutch is not engaged. The light changes, I slowly release the lever...it only needs to move a quarter of an inch, it seems, before the clutch engages, and the bike moves. Seems like it normally had to move farther away from the grip...more towards the end of the lever travel, rather than at the start.
Hope that helps....

CraigArizona85248

I've never seen a clutch cable for a Harley that was not adjustable.  There should be an adjustment barrel either at one end (for the old 4-speeds) or mid way in the cable (usually along the left downtube of the frame).  When you don't have your hand on the clutch lever does it flop around?  Sounds too me like you have too much free play.

-Craig

Rags722

Quote from: guido4198 on December 19, 2008, 08:07:25 AM
Cable length is not adjustable.
When I'm sitting at a light ( for example)...I'm holding the lever all the "back" against the grip. The Clutch is not engaged. The light changes, I slowly release the lever...it only needs to move a quarter of an inch, it seems, before the clutch engages, and the bike moves. Seems like it normally had to move farther away from the grip...more towards the end of the lever travel, rather than at the start.
Hope that helps....

I have to believe you just solved your own question based on that answer.  Seems to me you may be adjusting the pushrod engagement , but not setting the freeplay in the cable and then taking the slack back out as a final adjustment.  If you PULL on the cable sheath right by the clutch lever, does it come out of the mount more than 1/8th inch?  Correct adjustment is AT LEAST 1/16th play but not more than 1/8th.  Personally, I can't think of any bike I ever owned that didn't have some form of cable play adjustment.  Keep in mind, you need some freeplay, but not much.  I suspect that once you do the cable adjust, your problem will be gone.
Rags

Panzer

Gudio,
I'm with the others in saying, I never seen a clutch cable that you couldn't adjust.
But then again, anything is possible.
I'd go for the new cable "oem".
See if the new one is adjustable or look in their parts book and ask.
How much can it cost (replace) for piece of mind..........$200.00-$300.00?
Well, it's a Harley part, so I might be off by a couple of pennies.
Hope the suggestion helps.

Let us know what to outcome is.
And Merry Christmas guy.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

guido4198

Ok...NOW I understand what you're asking about..RE: Adjustment of cable.
Yeah, it has an adjustment that is done where the threaded "barrel" goes through a fixture on top of the tranny. I use that to adjust the slop or freeplay in the lever until I have that down to 1/8th inch or so.
Sorry about the confusion...thanks for all the good thoughts.

JamLazyAss

If the cable is freyed, it won't hold an adjustment.
I'm sure you checked, but just another thought "just in case".

Let us know how it turns out.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

hotham

If you still have the top mounted cable, do yourself a favor, convert your release to the side case set up.  I switched mine to the newer style years ago.  Much better feel and since a new cable is probably needed, no better time to switch out the release.  Dealer should be able to tell you what you need.  Years ago,  the dealer I used had a printed list made up to do this.

guido4198

Ding..Ding...Ding....And the winner is: RAGS722:
"Seem to me something else is worn and not letting the pushrod go through it's normal range of motion."
I got into the primary case today, and found 2 of the 4 posts on the Inner Clutch hub broken. This is a replacement part I put in about 11yrs. ago. It is an up-date from the factory cast unit, although it didn't actually quite last as long as the original. Not much difference though. Anyone have a recommendation other than 1.) OEM part # 37550-84A,2.)  JP Cycles "up-dated" replacement. I don't mind replacing the thing with another of the J-P "V-Twin" units...Can't gripe about the service life,( over 100,000 mi.) Just want to feel like I'm putting the best available replacement back in.
Thanks for the ideas....

mrmike

While your in there may as well change out the cable anyway otherwise you just know what will happen. When I changed out my handlebars and had to replace my cables I went with Barnetts reduced effort clutch cable and am pleased with it's performance. jmho

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

guido4198

Thanks Mike,
I saw those while I was looking online....dodn't knowanything about'em. That might become part of the repair.