114 CI BUILD ,NOT SURE IF I CAN LIVE W/ NOISE WOODS 8 CAMS-ALTERNITIVE CAMS ?

Started by sacbluescat, September 27, 2010, 10:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sacbluescat

Well I have adjusted the valves numerous times and even aligned lower rocker boxes, still getting a butt load of valve train noise ! It's worse then my 95" build with the Woods 6hg cams. The thing pulls like a freakin freight train, but it is making a lot of valve train noise generating from the rocker boxes, both equal amounts of valve noise, gets louder and quieter at different RPM levels. If I decide that I can't live with the noise , what other cam suggestions would work well with this build ,with out the racket ? Build is 114 ci, 10.5:1 compression, feuling pump & cam plate,Woods 8 cams & lifters, Zippers 54 ml TB & air cleaner, Supertrapp 2 into 1 exhaust 1.5" open cap w/28 discs, Power commander3, Deweys Design heads 1.94/1.63 w/ squish groves

aalsalem

I have the same cams on a 103ci with HTCC heads and they use to make the noise, I found out that the springs where rubbing against the rocker cover walls so I had to grind them a bit which took away the noise.

Open it up its worth the try because those cams are great

beaureed445

I'd suggest the T-Man 590, but T.R. says 10.6-10.8:1 for best performance.
113" Science Project

Don D

One often overlooked problem is gear lash.
Follow the Wood document instructions and measure lash. It is very possible what is thought to be valve lash is gears clacking. Oversize gears fixes that or changing to the hydra tensioner and roller chain setup used in the 07up TC

05FLHTC

:agree: Check gear lash.

The other Woods 8 potential cam replacement HQ-33G very similiar durations & timing events quiet also.
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

02GhostRiderVA

As already pointed out, check the rocker box clearancing.  The attachment was pulled from the T-Man on how and where to clearance the boxes.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Regards, Carlos
Stafford, VA
'02 Road King Classic

itsafatboy

I never could get the TW8 to run quite on my 116" i did love the cam though, it was mostly at hot idle up by the exhaust valve area, i think its the ramp speed on the closing events, and i also think some of it could have been how the valve hits the seet some are betteer than others , i have billet zipper heads now and run the tw9bg and its very quite,  i think the tman 590 , is a good option or maybe his 625 cam (it closes a little more early). but more lift and tdc lift not alot but some   

beaureed445

I was seriously considering running the Wood 8 in my bike, but I was told it "sounds like a bunch of rocks rattling around in an empty beer can."  This opinion came from a well respected member of the HD community.....so I went with the T-Man 590 instead (upon his advice).
113" Science Project

Unbalanced

Sacs,

Before you had this makeover were the cams as noisey as they are now?  :scratch:   I thought I read in numerous posts by Don-Dewey that he blue prints the heads and takes care of all proper fitment in regards to the valve springs and valve train geometry.  I might be mistaken, but I also recall reading that his work helps to lessen the noise of those steep ramp cams?  Have you dyno'd this make over yet?    :wink:

HV

HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

RevFastEddy

S&S 585 easy start cam... just about duplicates a woods 8..... plus easy starts every time no matter how hot.
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

sacbluescat

Checked rocker boxes, no additional spring rub since original reliefs were done, roller rocker arm side play .015 - .020, book says replace if over .025 side play, will be checking lifter bore size and cam gear lash next week after Vegas ! :wink:

Mr. Torque

Deye76

Plan on keeping your R's above 3 grand with S&S.625, unless you got a light bike.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

HD/Wrench

You cannot fix a cam by blue printing the head. I like the 8 cam and it is a monster, the down side is noise. Great power but take the good with the bad. Louder pipe???  Turn the radio up :)

Don D

I would agree up to a point.
The protrusion set right, concentric seats, proper guide fit, head top surface height, valve spring pressure, proper choice of parts...
Where do you draw the line between "Blueprinting" and just proper high performance machine shop practices or are they one and the same?
IMO these are all part of normal porting job, these are not "blueprinting" per se just proper setup and parts choices and are to be expected of any porting job. Going over .600- .625 lift takes more attention to geometry (at least it does by me) and then I engage the help of Mr. Baisley to supply rockers and usually special valves. This intervention along with proper installation and associated parts will assure the lowest possible noise from any cam, full lift, and balanced sweep across the valve stem for maximum life before service is required.

sacbluescat

I decided to work with the Woods 8 cams, I ordered A oversized cam gear, rocker arm shims,and TP pro-vent rocker boxes. I realize that I am not going to get rid of all the valve train noise but hopefully, cut it in half and I would be very happy ! I should have the parts in the next couple of weeks and I will post the results.

Admiral Akbar

IME, the W8 with tight gears was quieter then a Kury WT26 and loose gears..

Max

kjd

Be sure to check to see if your push rods are hitting. If they are 7/16 at the top, They will hit. I use the HD perfect fit or the Zippers taper pro push rods to help this. Also the Woods lifters are amazing for noise control. The S&S 585 and 636 will not give you any low end like the woods tw8 or the Tman 625.Think about the Tman 662-1. I am running it in my road king 120" now and loving the low end pull!

Admiral Akbar

QuoteThe S&S 585 and 636 will not give you any low end like the woods tw8

Seems like the 585 would do well in the 114.. Do you think the exhaust duration is too long??  The look pretty much the same.. 585 intake closes 2 degrees earlier but exhaust open 11 degrees earlier.   Max

Hillside Motorcycle

That cam does appear to work ok, in a 114",(on paper) as would an S&S .625,(set-up correctly) which is semi-similar to a Wood 9B.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Deye76

"an S&S .625, which is semi-similar to a Wood 9B."

All the lift and duration.......half the noise.  :hyst:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

GoFast.....

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on October 07, 2010, 09:10:20 AM
You cannot fix a cam by blue printing the head. I like the 8 cam and it is a monster, the down side is noise. Great power but take the good with the bad. Louder pipe???  Turn the radio up :)
Now thats the truth about those cams Steve. :up:
I have run a 8 in a 114. I loved the way it ran in that 114 so much that most of the time I didn't care if it sounded like I left a wrench in the top end.
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber