April 27, 2024, 10:57:04 PM

News:

2011 883 Iron

Started by 1998fxstc, September 29, 2010, 08:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1998fxstc

My youngest daughter just got her new bike last week.
She has ridden dirt bikes & quads since she was 4 yrs old, 27 now.
She loves her 1st Harley.
She wants more power already.
She has picked out the Vance & Hines short shots for exhaust & a K&N air filter, for starters.
I will be the mech...
I know nothing of the fuel injection, if we change these items will the fuel injection & sensors & computer compensate & adjust accordingly or is it necessary to have the shop flash the ecm? If so is, there a certain "flash" to ask for?

TIA, Mike

glens

I believe there are "flashes" for various combinations of H-D parts.  One might be close-enough, might not...

But you're on the right track.  If you modify the breathing the ECM programming should be modified to match.  In probably most cases modifying the programming on a stock bike would be beneficial.  If you have somebody you'd take it to for tuning, might as well go with whatever type of system they like, though I'd say anything "piggyback" should be avoided, probably, except maybe the V&H Fuelpak.  You might look into that.  My recommendation would be the mastertune.net TTS kit.  At least that's what I'm glad I settled on a while back.

Sporty4Life

I recommend getting the factory Stage 1 Screamin' Eagle download from your dealer (~$150), or buy the Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner, PC software, and connecting cables (~$500 total) from which you can download free a similar Stage 1 MAP from HD.  The former is the cheapest and easiest and guaranteed.  If you like to tinker, have patience with a learning curve, and want the ability to make subtle changes to any EFI parameter later, the HD Race Tuner is the way to go.  I did the latter on my XL1200.  It immediately cured dying during warmup, and now pulls like a John Deere!  I am perfectly satisfied with the download and haven't had any desire to hook up the Race Tuner since then.  In retrospect, the dealer download would have been a lot cheaper (that's what they told me!) but I own the download and have the ability to go back in and view all the parameters and make changes if I want to.  Cheers!  PS:  Of course, the best power increasing solution for your daughter's 883 would be a 1200 top kit!!!   :wink:
Become the person you really want to be.  Don't worry about other things.

1998fxstc

Thanks., sporty, that is the info I was looking for.
welcome aboard

Mike