May 09, 2024, 09:56:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

too much transmission oil

Started by 14Frisco, September 29, 2010, 06:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14Frisco

1994 FLHR

Found some transmission oil on the floor under the primary cover... and it turns out the tranny has way too much oil in it.  I haven't stuck my head underneath yet but - from what orifice does the oil in an overfilled transmission come out?
And can any damage be done to seals etc. by having too much tranny oil?

The strange thing is that after changing the transmission oil I went on a 1000+ mile trip, and rode it pretty hard too, and there was no leak or dripping whatsoever during or after that ride.  Then a week or two later after a rather short and gentle ride (<80mph) I found the little puddle on the floor.  Maybe it took the Shookproof Heavy that long to settle in the case and I need to keep running it more to have the pink stuff splashed around...

Dan89flstc

Quote from: 14Frisco on September 29, 2010, 06:39:17 PM
Maybe it took the Shookproof Heavy that long to settle in the case and I need to keep running it more to have the pink stuff splashed around...

That`s ridiculous...

Drain the excess oil from the transmission.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Do you have Shockproof in your primary case or, do you mean the actual transmission, what us Brits call the "Gearbox"?
If your Gearbox is overfull, undo the dipstick plug in the top of the clutch actuating cover and check the oil level is between the two marks, bike must be upright to do this acurately. If you got too much in there, get a giant syringe and suck some out through the hole untill you get the correct level. If you use a large syringe, you may have to attach a plastic or rubber hose to the end as it`s unlikely the syringe cylinder will fit into the tranny hole.
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

14Frisco

Transmission as in transmission.
The oil has already been drained.  I am just curious how/where the leak occured - where does an overfilled EVO transmission leak from?

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

Evo160K

On my '90 trans there's a rubber hose coming out the top and curving down.  That might be a way out for oil.