May 02, 2024, 03:30:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Scratched/Fogged Fuel Gauge Lens?

Started by Flat Dog, December 19, 2008, 09:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Dog

Does the Meguiars plastx or similar compound and a soft dremel pad work to restore a fuel gauge face that has been scratched over the years? Just thought I'd ask and see if anyone had any success before I tried it. Also saw a 3M super fine polishing pad made for clearing fogged light bezels at the local auto store-thought maybe someone might chime in with experience with that kit also.

Thanks!

-John

psyco369

a friend of mine took his apart and had a glass shop make him a new one and then put it back together....it looked better than new and still looks new after 2 years...hope this helps...Dan

Flat Dog

fuzznut5197

I also replaced it with glass. I could barely see through the plastic, polishing didn't help and there was some kind of top coating that was peeling off, it was a real mess. I stole a glass lens from some other dead gauge I had laying around, and it happened to fit perfectly. You still get condensation under the lens though, don't know if that happens in sunny FLA too.

Flat Dog

December 20, 2008, 09:55:27 AM #4 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 05:27:38 AM by Photo John
So any glass shop should be able to cut out a replacement piece like this? Cool!