May 02, 2024, 04:31:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

83 Lowrider shifter

Started by buzzurd, December 19, 2008, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzurd

Does anyone offer an off set shifter arm for the cowpies?I'm installing forward controls on the other halfs 83 lowrider and really want to do away with the pivot arm and just run a straight shift rod.I've been scratching my head on this all day how to make this work.Thought about cutting the existing arm and spreading it and welding it back up.This would move the pin back and have a more forward and rearward motion then an up and down.I'm open for suggestions.
Buzzurd

v10ole

Hey Buzzard, :beer: Ole here post a picture of what you are working with maybe I can help ya out.

buzzurd

I'll get some pics today.Did you get the seat alright?
Buzzurd

v10ole

Hi there buzzard I haven't got it yet, But you know the pony express. Ole

buzzurd

December 20, 2008, 10:49:58 AM #4 Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 12:02:53 PM by buzzurd
Thinking I can just make a cut in the flat bar,tweek the top of the pin back far enough so rod will still clear inner primary and weld it back up.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

v10ole

Hey buzzard Why do ya want to get rid of the stock linkage? Is it worn out or what? That linkage has been a piece of "Potty mouth" since conception of the cowpie why they didn't keep the ratchet top I'll never know, it was a much better design. Anyway what you are talking about doing should work but keep in mind the thickness of the shift rod eye plus a little more to fasten the rod to keep er on. I have a stock linkage that is in reasonable condition if ya need one to make your mission a little easier, here is a picture. Is your old ladies bike a FXSB with the stock belt primary and rear belt? The reason I ask is from your picture it looks like a stock HD belt drive. Ole

buzzurd

Yeah Ole it's a stock FXSB.There was way to much play in the linkage when I installed her forward controls.It wasn't as noticeable with the stock shifter.Straight to the shift arm eliminates 3 pivot points all with what I would say excessive slop.Slop x 3 = inches of travel in the forward controls shifter.This is the first cowpie I've ever messed with and agree,piss poor design.Are you saying with new pivots it will be good and tight?The shift linkage I have with the forward controls fits fine and will stay on with the stock snap ring.
Buzzurd

v10ole

Here is the OEM part numbers that are most likely worn out first is the front pivot arm the one with the grease sert # 33-190. the other is the one that is mounted on the shifter arm coming out of the cowpie #33-177. I would think if you replace these two parts you should be good to go. Or maybe if the back arm is good you could drill out the mount for the front arm and make or find a bushing to repair what ya have. If you want to just replace the parts I would try www.nosparts they have tons of OEM hard to find parts may be best to call them. Ole

Lew

Buzzurd, might check this stuff out....good replacements for the sh!tty stock stuff.
http://www.cal-products.com/engine.html
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

v10ole

Also found this replacement bushings page 23 of Custom Chrome C :up:atalog stock bushing P#20140 pack of 5 $13.99 or .020 over sized pack of 5 $12.99

Little Al

I agree. I had tons of slop and missed shifts with my foward controls ('83 FXR) until I replaced those parts. also found a shift rod with hiem (sp?) joints which has helped  keep it tight. been fine now for about 3 years, 40,000 miles.
Little Al

The Don

Hi Buzzurd,
Had the same sloppy problem with my 81, what I did was find a ring spanner that fit the shaft coming out of the tranny,(can't remember size but 5/16 rings a bell, just try till you find) I then cut the spanner on the open end side so it would clear the oil tank when pointing straight up, drilled a 1/4 hole and used a heim joint to suit to the now extended (home made) shift rod.
The Don
Had a 1981 FXFE (Modified of course) for 20 yrs
Now have a 89 Heritage(modified)

buzzurd

OK....here's how it was done.I made a straight cut across the flat bar part of the shifter arm but not all the way through. Spread it to the point where the rear part of the linkage would still slide off with the inner primary still in place.Tack welded to my welding table and welded up the gap.Got a close measurement with threaded rod and adjusted linkage to fit the ol lady.Then made my own.Slapped everything back together so she could test ride.Bike shifted flawlessly and she was grinning ear to ear.Said the bike had never shifted that well.Bottom line.....no more slop!!!!!!!!!
Buzzurd

v10ole

Sweet looks good to me. Rock on. Ole :up:

buzzurd

Thanks Ole...71 degrees here with sunshine....time to pull out the dresser and go for a ride.Eat your heart out!!!!! :teeth: