April 27, 2024, 09:37:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

closed loop conversion with new MAP sensor

Started by 06roadglide, October 10, 2010, 02:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

06roadglide

I have 2006 FLTRI with a TTS coverted to closed loop using the 2007 ECM maps.  Harley has released a "updated" MAP sensor now and it appears the closed loop bikes require a different part number.  My 2006 calls for a 32416-10 and 2007-up FLT uses 32417-10.  Now I need a new MAP sensor and not sure which one is needed.  My gut tells me 32417-10 since I'm running 2007 ECM map now.

Attached is the link to the bulletin from this site
http://www.box.net/shared/qsaz91fnpm

Ram

October 10, 2010, 03:32:14 PM #1 Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:34:39 PM by Ram
Service bulletin states: "Please note using an incorrect MAP sensor may result in vehicle performance issues"

This may be like injector issue when the 8* original unit was superseded with the 25* injector.  Many bikes are still operating on the 8* as mine is to this day.

Have changed my '06 over to TTS Closed loop with o2 sensors and have kept the 25* injectors boxed up for, and if, any issues arise, and future performance mod's that would require them.

I'm highly skeptical of MOCO at this time, what performance issues have arose to prompt them to issue a service bulletin and part number change to the MAP for non-TTS tuned bikes.

Since the EPA plays the hand as much as they do, I would ask what performance issues do you see with your TTS tuned closed loop system on your 117 build, before changing out the MAP?

I'm sure that this could be a more pertant issue for those who have kept bikes stock and do not have a tuned engine management system with the likes of TTS Master Tune to chance or tune as needed.
'06 FLHRI Road King, ULTRA dress, o2's, TTS tune, LSR 2-1 Black Holes quiet pipe

glens

What do I know, but I'd use the exact replacement.  It's what the ECM programming will be looking for.

FLTRI

It could be as simple as a new part with slightly, or additional specs, replacing an existing. The new part may have had to change for '10 specs, but the change may be aditional range to help the new engines with low kpa? This additional range will not apply to earlier bike calibration so it is not used/noticed?
Just a shot,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

glens

That tech tip (or whatever it was called) clearly stated that the older bikes could "use" either one (physically interchangeable) but that care must be taken to get the "right" one or problems might ensue.  At least that's the way I read it last night.  Get the one the ECM's programming is set up for: the exact replacement.

06roadglide

October 11, 2010, 02:37:15 PM #5 Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:33:56 PM by 06roadglide
I didn't have any problems with my MAP sensor.  I dropped my manifold with the MAP sensor still in 6" onto my lift and it landed right on the sensor and broke the vacuum port.

Quote from: Ram on October 10, 2010, 03:32:14 PM
Service bulletin states: "Please note using an incorrect MAP sensor may result in vehicle performance issues"

This may be like injector issue when the 8* original unit was superseded with the 25* injector.  Many bikes are still operating on the 8* as mine is to this day.

Have changed my '06 over to TTS Closed loop with o2 sensors and have kept the 25* injectors boxed up for, and if, any issues arise, and future performance mod's that would require them.

I'm highly skeptical of MOCO at this time, what performance issues have arose to prompt them to issue a service bulletin and part number change to the MAP for non-TTS tuned bikes.

Since the EPA plays the hand as much as they do, I would ask what performance issues do you see with your TTS tuned closed loop system on your 117 build, before changing out the MAP?

I'm sure that this could be a more pertant issue for those who have kept bikes stock and do not have a tuned engine management system with the likes of TTS Master Tune to chance or tune as needed.

06roadglide

Quote from: glens on October 11, 2010, 05:03:46 AM
.  Get the one the ECM's programming is set up for: the exact replacement.
Thats what my dilemma is, my ECM is a 2007 program in a 2006 bike.

FSG

QuoteThat tech tip (or whatever it was called)
It's actually called "Genuine Motor Parts and Motor Accessories Bulletin", says so in the Header of each page and it's number is P&A No. 950
Surprisingly more of them can be found in the HarleyTechTalk » Documents & FAQ's » Instruction Sheets, Bulletins, Recalls » HD » Parts & Accessories Bulletins SECTION.
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,11174.msg114181.html#msg114181

Now to the question.

You dropped the 06 Manifold and the MAP Sensor broke. 
I take it the MAP Sensor was the original 06 Sensor, Yes/No ?
If yes then you've nothing to loose by using the 32416-10 Sensor.

Quotemy ECM is a 2007 program in a 2006 bike
What does that mean? 
The base ECU's are the same, have you had your 06 ECU flashed with 07 ECU Code, Yes/No ?
If yes then you've nothing to loose and some to gain by using the 32417-10 Sensor.

The joy's of mix 'n match and I'll bet there are plenty of original 06 and earlier sensors on dealer shelves to be had, just ask one to use the system lookup to find one for you.

glens

Quote from: 06roadglide on October 10, 2010, 02:40:04 PM
I have 2006 FLTRI with a TTS coverted to closed loop using the 2007 ECM maps.  Harley has released a "updated" MAP sensor now and it appears the closed loop bikes require a different part number.  My 2006 calls for a 32416-10 and 2007-up FLT uses 32417-10.  Now I need a new MAP sensor and not sure which one is needed.  My gut tells me 32417-10 since I'm running 2007 ECM map now.
I'd go with your other gut on this one.  Here's a few images culled from the 06 touring manual and the document you referenced.

The electrical specifications would have to remain the same as previously to be a viable replacement part.  I'd say this is purely a "physical" choice.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

FLTRI

Gens,
Good info....and logical. The MOCO can make things a bit confusing at times. They mean well though. :wink:
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

06roadglide

Yes, that was the original 06 sensor.
Yes, my ECM is flashed with a 07 map to run closed loop.

Quote from: Fatboy_SirGarfield on October 11, 2010, 04:08:15 PM
QuoteThat tech tip (or whatever it was called)
It's actually called "Genuine Motor Parts and Motor Accessories Bulletin", says so in the Header of each page and it's number is P&A No. 950
Surprisingly more of them can be found in the HarleyTechTalk » Documents & FAQ's » Instruction Sheets, Bulletins, Recalls » HD » Parts & Accessories Bulletins SECTION.
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,11174.msg114181.html#msg114181

Now to the question.

You dropped the 06 Manifold and the MAP Sensor broke. 
I take it the MAP Sensor was the original 06 Sensor, Yes/No ?
If yes then you've nothing to loose by using the 32416-10 Sensor.

Quotemy ECM is a 2007 program in a 2006 bike
What does that mean? 
The base ECU's are the same, have you had your 06 ECU flashed with 07 ECU Code, Yes/No ?
If yes then you've nothing to loose and some to gain by using the 32417-10 Sensor.

The joy's of mix 'n match and I'll bet there are plenty of original 06 and earlier sensors on dealer shelves to be had, just ask one to use the system lookup to find one for you.

06roadglide

Quote from: Fatboy_SirGarfield on October 11, 2010, 04:08:15 PM

The dealer did do a search for me, no dealers had any sensors in stock, new part number OR old part number.

FSG

Use the 32417-10 Sensor, if it's a loose fit due to no bump and the 06 bracket then use some 1/2" insulation tape and make your own bump.

glens

He's already been using the one with the bump for closed-loop operation (or at least would have if he'd not dropped and broke the one he had if this happened before he got it up and running closed-loop) so the new one with the bump sure ought to work the same, both electrically and physically.  It'll run closed-loop just fine and fit just right doing it.