April 28, 2024, 01:26:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

IN 2009 WHICH DO YOU PREFER NOW CARB OR FUEL INJECTION?

Started by ClassicRider2002, December 19, 2008, 05:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicRider2002

December 19, 2008, 05:41:27 PM Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:40:52 AM by ClassicRider2002
-

HELLO EVERYONE......

I just put together a huge THREAD as background information about the debate of CARB VS FUEL INJECTION and have simply attached a "LINK" below for viewing and reading if anyone would like to go back in history to what people were feeling about this topic all the way back to 2001 forward to 2006, much of this discussion has sort of quieted down since the "alterative" no longer exists, but I am curious what everyone is thinking today.....HIPPO as well as others over the years offered some great input into the benefits and drawbacks of each alternative....you might enjoy looking back if so, then
SIMPLY CLICK, VIEW, & READ:

CARB VS FUEL INJECTION

Since 2001 the discussion of whether one prefers CARB or FUEL INJECTION has been constantly discussed, and for good reason.....as we approach 2009 and we are 3 model years since the last CARB bikes of 2006 were built I thought it would be interesting to look back and see what those comments were and how in 2009 we are now feeling about the same debate.....as we are 3 years removed what are the reflections.

1) Are those of you that still own your CARB bikes more set on keeping them or less?

2) Are those of you that own your EFI bikes at all concerned with how they will continue to run or not?

3) How many of want to change from EFI to Carb or from Carb to EFI?

4) With the current state of our Nation in the long haul do any of you feel that the CARB bike will be more valuable or less valuable?

5) We all assume that sometime in the future there will be a "water cooled" engine in all models, if so are you guys more excited about such or less?

I am just curious what the board feels today about this debate, CARB VS FUEL INJECTION, with the knowledge we have today as we approach 2009

WHEN YOU POST, PLEASE STATE HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN RIDING MOTORCYCLES IN GENERAL & HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN RIDING HARLEYS

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

HIPPO

Just read your collection of posts.
Nothing changed on the bike, still running EFI and still have the stuff to convert it back and forth to carb. So far nothing expensive broke.

scoopfraser

I've never had a fuel injected bike so I can't compare to my carb.  I don't think I'd have an issue buying a fuel injected bike since they seemed to have evolved quite a bit.  I do like my Bob Wood carb though...

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

aal

In the past 5 or so years, I've had a number of fi bikes - harley and bmw, moto guzzi and ducati - and a couple of harley carbed bikes.  I'm in the process of buying an 04 fxst - carbed.  I think the fi bikes are probably able to be set for better performance, but I wanted the simplicity of the carburetor, and the lesser expense of getting it set up to run right.  I was surprised at how few late model carbed bikes are out there.  I don't know if people are keeping them, or more probably there were just fewer made.  I can also add I had a 67 triumph with two carbs, and it was a bit of a problem to get them in sync.  One carb though seems to be no problem.  I will also say that the harley bikes were the only ones that I could really get set up right with fi.  The aftermarket is really great with harley fi, and that makes a big difference.  I suppose I could have tried more with the other fi bikes, but the expense and hassle would have been greater.

Dennis The Menace

I'm on my 6th HD, and cant imagine running a carb.  Had FI for past 6 years, no going back.  I'm not a tinkerer, so dont want to adjust the thing, try different jets, etc.  Run a TMax now and its pretty good, so I just ride it. 

I would like to see a water cooled bike, and think eventually that will be all HD can make.  EPA is strict now, and getting worse.  It wont keep me from a new bike...I wont be loyal to air cooled just because.  I want a rideable bike and, for the most part, MoCo hasnt let me down yet.  Each of my new bikes were better than the one before.

menace

slo-poke 03

I have had both, my last two were/are injected all the others carb (30+years). I still like carb better but it is what it is and things will always keep changing so I accept it. Injected does run better under some conditions (my uneducated opinion) but it is harder to work with/on if you are going to change things. My wife's is still carbed and it runs fine.

slo-poke 03

I hate to say it but I agree with dennis my new one is better than the ones I rode in the 70s. Or I just got older and appreciate the comfort and general relibility of the new ones :embarrassed:

jaxhog

Have 3 Harleys, 2 carbed with 75k mi and 15k mi on them, and an injected with almost 15k and havn't had problems with any of them!   Years ago I had several KZ-1000's and ;they had 4 carbs, they were a pain to keep running right! I'm still middle of the road? maybe leaning alittle for the injection? Not much help.    jack 

GoFast.....

I have both and FI Perfomance has passed the carbs but I hate that wire. :angry:
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

biggums

I've had both and like new cars the injected computorized one's are dead on.

I do love my 1998 FLHT with it's gas gobling SS Super E Carb as the old feel sputtering, farting warm up is great and the whole bikes personality is greater than the new bikes.

My 1998 has never let me down and I can work on the bike without the computor crap required with todays bikes.

But as with the cars the new ones are more reliable.

sharkoilfield

Have been around/on bikes for 40 years; I like all bikes, HD's are my favorite. My current ride (103 inch FXDXT) has a 51CV; the wife has an '08 FXDL. Mines been taken down to the bare frame, cases split and totally rebuilt as I wish. It's a keeper...having said that I would consider a new EFI bike when the time comes, but it would have to have a lot of work done before it even left the dealer. Not too keen on the extra dozen sensors and mile of wire, but that's the way it is today...also would miss the required foreplay before riding off; I kind of enjoy my starting ritual. Would probably look for a low-mile '02 carb bike.....
I don't see exponential performance increases in the EFI bikes, as many seem to claim...minuscule differences between both when set up properly and annoying traits with EFI as delivered...also the comparison to 'cages is moot; they're made for a totally different market and have a ton and a half of steel to carry all the amenities you want. Bikes, to me, are more minimalist.

That's just my opinion.....

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

aquaman

I bought my 06 specifically because it was going to be the last year for carbs.  I'm too narrow minded, ignorant and lazy to make the efi switch.  I also like muzzleloaders and using flint to make fire ; )
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

PC_Hater

I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years, occasional Harley rider on a 45 since 1986, main bike a Harley since 1999.

My 1999 FL has the MM EFI. When that breaks I suppose HD won't be able to sell me any replacement parts. That would be just like the ignition system on my 1200S then. If the MM breaks I suppose the simplest choice is probably the well-documented EFI to carb conversion. However, because it is only wires and sensors and wires don't frighten me, it might be amusing to persuade some late model EFI to retrofit. (aftermarket solutions are available!)

I don't see why a bike being carb or EFI would affect the value long term. You only run old vehicles if you have money and know someone who really does know what they are doing, or you do it yourself. I do the spanner twirling and simple engineering myself. Cranks and rebores and headwork go to reputable companies.

A nicely done watercooled bagger would be very interesting to me. Harley has always been a very conservative company and water cooled motors have only been used in motorcycles since 1910 that I know of so we wouldn't want them to rush things. The major problem for most is the ugliness of the radiator. The good news is that putting the radiator at the front of the bike is just about the worst place you could put it! Look up "John Britten".

I need a sensible bike for commuting and general riding about. Plan A was to get a Sportster for that but the 1200S I bought is a very very pretty cafe racer and makes my wrists ache in traffic.  Plan B is an Enfield and there I have the choice of a used bike with carb, or the nice new one with unit construction motor - and Oh Joy! a kickstart! and EFI. Having lived with EFI for 4 years now, I've sort of learned to love it. No fuss no muss. I have a wide choice of dyno tuners within 2 hours ride of me, and now I would put a carbed bike on the dyno to make sure I had the settings right anyway so, what's the problem? EFI it is. (bit uncertain about Indian EFI though..., still, can't be worse than Chinese EFI can it?)
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Flat Dog

I'd part with my FI twinkie in a heartbeat. I'd go for a shootout if someone tried to take my carbureted and salwater pitted evo...

Jeffd

04 carbed flhtc 65,000 miles no problems runs like it should.  I get a new RKP fi every year (sadly this year the HD shop did not put in a bid so we are not going to be on HD's anymore :cry:) and to tell the truth there is no decernable difference. I ride at all elevations and all temps from 20 degrees to over 100 degrees.  If your bike is set up correctly it will run good carb or fi.  I know it is pretty dang easy changing a jet or adj. an air fuel screw, when you do a modification.  I also know my buddy scurvy likes setting his idle way low on his carbed bike so it lopes at idle and right wrong or indifferent you can not do that on a fe bike.

RK101

My last carbed bike was a 99 sporty, Farted threw the carb once in a while.  That and when I was riding on a very cold day it froze up. No big deal.
I liked it. Since then I've owned two Delphi bikes. 01 softail Std and now and 04 RK, I've never had one problem with either one of them.
So IMO it's not a big deal one way or the other. As far as carb being worth more than and EFI bike I guess that would depend on the buyer and if he was set on a carbed bike he might be able to be talked out of a few more bucks. To the average rider today who just wants to hop on and ride, I'd think EFI would be preferred. jm.02
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

harleywood

I work at a dealership and know well the expense of EFI tuning. Once it's done, it's done-but getting there is not a cheap proposition. I appreciate the simplicity and low cost of my carbed 05 FLHT. I don't feel like I've lost a thing by staying with the carb and kept much coin in my pocket.
05 FLHT
95", SE251, AMS, SE 10.5, .030 Cometic.

Deye76

Quote from: aquaman on December 20, 2008, 07:41:40 AM
I bought my 06 specifically because it was going to be the last year for carbs.  I'm too narrow minded, ignorant and lazy to make the efi switch.  I also like muzzleloaders and using flint to make fire ; )

I too like muzzleloaders. When I went from a flintlock to percussion, I couldn't believe how much better it was. Way less misfires, no hang time. Just purchased an in-line/209primer model. WOW. (prolly put a scope on it, eyes changing)... Same experience going from carb to FI. Starts so easy when its cold :up:  I'll still use the percussion to hunt with, and still use a carb on a panhead. They all have their place IMO.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

2001FLSTC

When I first bought my current bike I thought "this is okay, but if I had a choice I wish it would have been fuel injected".  I don't really know why though.    A few years and a pile of miles later.....it runs trouble free and there isn't any noticable performance difference compared to the FI bikes I ride with.

Pull out the enrichener knob, give it a pump or two of gas, start the bike, push in the knob, ride the bike.  That's the whole difference.

I have no complaints with the carb.

Dogbone45ACP

My 06 Ultra is a fuelie, runs great but no soul. I have a 96 in. kick start Shovel and a 2001 Dyna T Sport with carbs that are more fun to ride. I think I still like carbs better.

nevtat1450

I still love my 44mm carb TC. I can fix darn near anything on my 1999 FLHR. I will not buy new again. Been riding wrenching for 45 years. I know there are plenty of perfromance benefits with injection and computers, but I'll leave all that in my cage to enjoy my Harley.