May 08, 2024, 02:28:43 PM

News:

2007 XL1200 Low Leaky Head

Started by LDB187, October 21, 2010, 01:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LDB187

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It's on the rear cylinder and I think it's just coming from the valve cover.  Guess this will have to be a winter project.
Clarksville, TN

gonefishing_68

Rocker box cover gaskets, yep done those too. Its not that bad a project. Just have your gaskets in hand when you start.

LDB187

Clarksville, TN

Panzer

Had that same thing happen to my 07'.
Oil coming from the back rocker box, but was under warranty @ 5000 mile on the clock.
(Rear of box leaking)
Dealer did the work and I think they said the rocker base plate was warped.
Might want to check that with a straight edge, or better yet, on a piece of glass and a feeler gauge, if you do the work.
Might want to check on a service bulletin (if one was issued) to see if they will cover it under warranty, even though it might be out of warrnty.
Just saying.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

gonefishing_68

you can tape sand paper to glass lain on a flat surface and sand it flat if its not warped to bad.

Karl H.

October 24, 2010, 12:00:31 AM #5 Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:37:16 AM by Karl H.
My '07 Sportster (1200 Low, 20.000 miles) has leaking rocker box gaskets every 10.000 miles. It's always the lower gasket between rocker box and cylinder head. The gasket (sheet steel covered with a thin silicon layer) needs perfectly mating surfaces. I found that the rocker box surface is all but not flat!
Seaching the net I found that mainly the chrome rocker boxes are affected due to their warped surface.
Next time I will sand it flat as sugested by gonefishing_68 and my harley dealer.
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

LDB187

How do you check service bulletin's?  Don't have any warranty but the service mgr said they would change out the gaskets for $150. 
Clarksville, TN

Karl H.

October 24, 2010, 09:15:45 AM #7 Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:29:26 PM by Karl H.
I have no access to service bulletins except to some I find here or elsewhere in the net :wink:
Heard about a bulletin (about year '05) adressing the XL rockerbox issue but have never seen it  :emsad:

Here you see the surface after sanding it a bit on a precisely flat surface (mirror). There are glossy (1) and dull (2, 3) regions which indicates that the surface is warped

The mating regions of the old gasket show where clamping pressure existed (2, 3) and where not (1)

Panzer

Good pixs Karl. :up:

LDB.....unless a servicing dealer here or HD mechanic can help you ID a service bulletin for that particular problem, I would ask your service dealer to look it up.
Again, like I said, if there is one for that fix.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

FSG

QuoteHeard about a bulletin (about year '05) adressing the XL rockerbox issue but have never seen it  :emsad:
Perhaps   M-1168A , 2004â€"2006 XL Inner Rocker Covers

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,11177.msg114191.html#msg114191

LDB187

Thanks, I'll check w/the dealer folks.  Good examples Karl.
Clarksville, TN

Karl H.

@Fatboy_SirGarfield

Thanks!
That's most probably the issue I heard about ;D
(but doesn't describe my warped surface problem)

Karl H.

November 20, 2010, 05:48:28 AM #12 Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:32:02 PM by Karl H.
Have sanded the rockerbox completely flat

before:   

after:

As you can see the copper coating appeared at the warped edges (arrows).

Result: Completely dry rockerbox the first day of driving. Seeping again at the second day (after one cool down cycle) :crook:

Karl H.

November 20, 2010, 07:14:54 AM #13 Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:47:18 AM by Karl H.
Back from a test ride using the flour trick (helps findig oil on chromed surfaces)  :up:

After 1/2 mile: nothing!
After 1 mile: flour got brown at the upper gasket!  :banghead:
After 3 Miles: region of lower gasket was wet from oil coming from the upper  :wink:

So I'm happy again with my sanding work and will fokus on the upper gasket now. I shouldn't have reused it :embarrassed:

Lessons learned:

On chromed rockerboxes an oil leak at the upper gasket is nearly impossible to see. The oil comes down to the lower gasket in a thin, unvisible film and gets visible there. So don't blame the lower gasket to be leaky before having done the flour test!

Oil passing the upper gasket (where ever) gathers at the lowest point of the inside gasket channel before seeping out there. These points are the rear, left corner of the rear cylinder and the front, left corner of the front cylinder. If you find a leak there think about the upper gasket.

xamper

Quote from: Karl H. on November 20, 2010, 07:14:54 AM
So don't blame the lower gasket to be leaky before having done the flour test!

sorry to bring up an old thread, but i am having a similar problem.  how do you do the flour test?

Karl H.

February 25, 2011, 12:15:21 PM #15 Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:18:24 PM by Karl H.
Normaly the rockerbox is flooded with oil when you first recognize the leak. No chance to find out wether it is the upper or the lower gasket, in particular with chromed parts.

Clean the rockerbox from any oil. Blow some white flour or magnesia (magnesium oxide, used by gymnasts) to the rockerbox. Start the engine and ride a mile. The leak is where the colour of the flour changes to dark brown. The "flour indicator" reacts to an extremly low amount of oil, which is nearly impossible to recognize on chromed surfaces whithout that measure.