April 27, 2024, 07:14:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

need help with engine project

Started by skyhook, October 23, 2010, 10:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyhook

just bought an '04 buell 1200 firebolt

it has stock airbox and jardine slip-on

i want to bump compression and get a tuning device

want to have my local shop pull the heads, use thin head gasket, and maybe mill heads to get to 10.5 compression (looking at cam profile, i think that's about all i want to run)...will this work, how will it affect starter, will i need to replace pushrods?

what is the best tuning device to use...i've used power commander on my harleys, but have heard they don't work well on buells?

always seem to get their azz wet?

panhead_dan

Skyhook,
Are you building a race bike? If not, you should know that these engines are already pretty close to max performance while still retaining reliability. Think about it- it's got a sportster engine basicly and has about twice a sportsters horsepower and torque. You can get more performance while retaining reliability by getting rid of the EPA restrictions. Eric Buell Racing has some interesting ideas and parts for that. His new ECM for example. If you ARE building a race bike, Mr. Buell can help you with that also. I however, am not much help. Sorry.