April 27, 2024, 11:51:48 PM

News:

SE Heads & TW6G Cams

Started by HDRDR, December 20, 2008, 08:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDRDR

Would they work? with a 95" build and SE flat top pistons, just wondering :dgust: never seen the two together and there must be a reason why! I would like some info on this, if possible?

My thoughts are let my HD local dealer do a build for me! using SE heads, I have the cams installed and don't know much about the match?

Thanks for any info.

Al

Admiral Akbar

While I've not used this combo, I wouldn't have any problem trying it.. I'd bet it has better low to mid range and about the same maybe a little less top end HP than a hippo build.  Max

Fxstchewy

Probably a little more low end than the S&S 570's but, the 570's are great in the Hippo combo, I have the build in my 00' FXST and it run's so good that I will not mess with it until it needs it, I am more than satisfied. Chewy.
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

Bakon

Correct me if wrong, but the 6 is only .510 lift? The SE heads will take much more, so why stay at .510 with all the other offerings?
wasting time

Don D

The SE heads can benefit from a spring change, the SE springs are overkill IMO as far as pressure.
The 6 would work fine, the 5 about the same HP and more tq under the curve which equates to more street fun. The heads flatten in flow about .525.
Just one data point not the whole story however.
Here is a TW5g dyno and SE heads. With ported heads it is possible to gain about 5/5 more and as good or better TQ curve.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

SuperAhcmed

Quote from: HDRDR on December 20, 2008, 08:06:12 PM
Would they work? with a 95" build and SE flat top pistons, just wondering :dgust: never seen the two together and there must be a reason why! I would like some info on this, if possible?

My thoughts are let my HD local dealer do a build for me! using SE heads, I have the cams installed and don't know much about the match?

Thanks for any info.

Al

For a 95" motor I would go with the 5g cams from Woods. Its better suited for the 95" engine than the 6g for low end torque and midrange. Reason being, less overlap, shorter duration, and the intake closing point is sooner. Twin cam engines with the 4" stroke actually benefit from cams with minimal overlap and shorter duration due to the increased dwell time at TDC/BDC for the piston. Plus add the obvious fact that the total lift is set up for SE heads(but this is a minor point actually).

Admiral Akbar

Guys,, the Guy already has the 6. No need to change the cam for him.. I like Don's idea of the lighter springs though.. Max

HDRDR

I thank all of you for the info :up: I know a few of you are very knowledgeable when is comes to this type of question.

I think you just gave me the info that I need for my build :smile: Now I need to find out if the Dealer will do it? there is not a indy in town I trust for the build in San Diego. Bruce might help but he's to busy with that new ride :smiled:

So does this sound like a good plan? Se heads, Se flat tops, bore the jugs to fit the pistons, I have a high flow zippers filter and cycle shack exhaust 2-2 but the carb is a 40, would a 44 be the thing to do here? I know I will need a good tune and maybe a DTT ignition....what are your thoughts guy's?

Thanks, again

Al

prophet

Thanks for any info.

Al

I'm pretty pleased with that setup.  The power came in at 3000 with Rineharts, whith my FAT CAT and Gear Ratio change the power comes in at 2500.  You might do better having the heads ported and polished or have your stockers reworked, but I'm not disappointed.

HDRDR

Quote from: prophet on December 21, 2008, 06:01:09 PM

Thanks for any info.

Al

I'm pretty pleased with that setup.  The power came in at 3000 with Rineharts, whith my FAT CAT and Gear Ratio change the power comes in at 2500.  You might do better having the heads ported and polished or have your stockers reworked, but I'm not disappointed.

I understand about having my stock heads redone, but the thought was just getting the SE heads and keep or sell my 06 heads.  I don't think I would save much by having my heads done or just getting the SE heads? I would have to get them sent out to have the work done. I also stated in my last post about finding a Dealer local that would bore my jugs :emsad: I don't think they would do that here? probably just want to sell 95" and be not bothered even if they can or are set up for the boring
and I don't know if they are any that would?
I will find that out soon.

Al

GoFast.....

I find it hard to believe there is not someone that is a good wrench in a city that big
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

03deuce

Maybe you already know, but if you use the SE flat top pistons with those heads you will need to open up the valve reliefs to make clearance for the larger valves.

HDRDR

Quote from: GoFast..... on December 21, 2008, 08:08:16 PM
I find it hard to believe there is not someone that is a good wrench in a city that big

I do too, but its a fact...there a few indys but I don't trust them at all other than minor things like a cam. I checked out a place called Custom Performance about two blocks from El Cajon HD asked if they could tune a DTT ignition knowing they had a dyno....they stated to me they never heard of one :emsad: go figure...and there are other stories about people knowing around here.

Ask Bruce he knows about what goes on around here.

HDRDR

Quote from: 03deuce on December 21, 2008, 08:12:42 PM
Maybe you already know, but if you use the SE flat top pistons with those heads you will need to open up the valve reliefs to make clearance for the larger valves.

I did not know that deuce, I will find out soon enough...I thought the SE pistons had the reliefs in them? but thanks for the info :up:

Al

HDRDR

If I can't find a dealer to do this for me in San Diego it goes to http://www.bennettsperformanceinc.com/

prophet

Quote from: 03deuce on December 21, 2008, 08:12:42 PM

Didn't have the valve reliefs opened on mine...36000 miles with no problems.  They're made to go together.

ejk_dyna

<<Didn't have the valve reliefs opened on mine...36000 miles with no problems. >>

Have you pulled the heads off any time and looked at the pistons?  You might be one of the lucky ones or maybe your valves have made their own mod to the tops of your SE flat tops.   Seen plenty of pics of exactly that.

<<They're made to go together.>>

Actually there not.  The SE forged pop-ups are made to go with the SE P heads with no issues and 10.5:1 cr.

mayor

Quote from: HDRDR on December 21, 2008, 08:29:21 PM

I did not know that deuce, I will find out soon enough...I thought the SE pistons had the reliefs in them?

The SE pistons do have valve reliefs cut already, they just happen to be for a smaller valve set up.  The eyebrows need enlarged to accommodate the larger valves.  There's some picture's floating around here somewhere of the process. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Hillside Motorcycle

We have dedicated fixture(s) for that type of work.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JAFHR

Hey Al, have you checked out Cycle Visions down in Old Town. I've got an 08 Ultra that they will be doing the build for me. They have a very well respected builder now. They have the dyno and all of the toys. I'd give them a call. There is another builder up in Solana Beach, but the name escapes me. I can check on it and get back to you.

Gary :smiled:
2011 Road Glide CVO 110 with Woods 777 cams, Power commander 4, Rhinehart 4"

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: GDief on December 22, 2008, 11:43:45 AM
Hey Al, have you checked out Cycle Visions down in Old Town. I've got an 08 Ultra that they will be doing the build for me. They have a very well respected builder now. They have the dyno and all of the toys. I'd give them a call. There is another builder up in Solana Beach, but the name escapes me. I can check on it and get back to you.

Gary :smiled:

I'd wonder who that is.. If you recall let us know..

There is always Henderson..

http://www.trirycheracing.com/HendersonPerf.pdf

This guy looks like he has is act together. Max

HDRDR

JAFHR

The guys up in Solana Beach are Moreland Choppers. I have not used them in quite some time, but the builds they turned out before were good. Not to mention they are quite knowledgeable. I certainly wouldn't hesitate with sending my stuff to some of the guys here, but if you want someone local and don't want to tear it apart yourself then....
2011 Road Glide CVO 110 with Woods 777 cams, Power commander 4, Rhinehart 4"

HDRDR

Quote from: GDief on December 23, 2008, 11:42:23 AM
The guys up in Solana Beach are Moreland Choppers. I have not used them in quite some time, but the builds they turned out before were good. Not to mention they are quite knowledgeable. I certainly wouldn't hesitate with sending my stuff to some of the guys here, but if you want someone local and don't want to tear it apart yourself then....

Thanks, GD

I am putting all the info together some place stored in my mind lol....I have great info from this post, just what I was looking for! Next step is phone calls, and go from there...if someone I talk to or visit would like the print out of this post....I would be more than happy to show them  :beer:

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year..... all of you!

Al