April 27, 2024, 06:43:50 AM

News:

leaking fork seal

Started by garyajaz, October 27, 2010, 08:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyajaz

2003 XB 9 lightning..
any tricks?  manual tells of complete dissambly...
do i need to take it all way apart to get to seals?

upside down fork looks like leak waiting to happen....
and it is....

FSG

October 27, 2010, 09:56:02 PM #1 Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:04:06 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Quotedo i need to take it all way apart to get to seals?
I've no experience with them but it looks like the answer is yes.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

garyajaz

your no fun...lol....yeah, i know have to take apart.  was just thinking of the cartridges.
when i did my FXDX, manuual/everey one said i had to dissamble the cartridges.
i just slid them out intact and replaced bushings and seals..
buell manual is pretty sketchey.  saying i need all sorta special tools.
(so did the FXDX, but i got it regular tools)
just looking for tricks and tips...
but thanks...

panhead_dan

Once you get down to it, the book is pretty much right on the money. The damper rod assembly does not need to be disassembled. There are 3 special tools that the book says you need. One is a clamp to hold the tube. You won't need it if you use your triple tree to hold the tube. Another is a seal driver. Again, you don't need anything special for that. I use a short piece of 2" pvc pipe cut in half lengthwise. It works fine. DO NOT HIT THE FORK TUBE WITH A HAMMER WHILE USING IT. Offhand, I can't remember what the third special tool was but if I figured it out, so can you. It's about the easiest fork I've ever rebuilt. One other thing- the retaining ring that holds the seal in the tube will go in 2 ways. It will only stay put if it is installed with the flatter side against the shoulder.

Fork seal parts are cheap too. Try American Sport Bike. Al Lighton is the best for Buell parts and advice or knowledge.

garyajaz

thanks  asb got me the parts. 
i used your pvc trick.  made a spring compressor out of a old ratchett tie down.  used tripple trees as holder.  diffuculity about same as fxdx. 
just upside down...but the spring compress dealie was touchy first fork...

panhead_dan

I've since quit using the pvc pipe trick to set the seals. I found a much better trick. Extend the fork, slide the dust seal up out of the way, wrap electrical tape around the fork nice and squarely. Put about a 3/16" layer of tape on the tube. Place one end of the fork on mama's carpet and tuck the other end into my beer belly. Press firmly and the seal slides right into place.
Also, I've never had to use a spring compressor yet. I've been able to pull it down with one hand and slip the wrench in with the other.

garyajaz

your a stronger man than i dan.
i could not budge spring with either my busted/fused wrist or the other
hand with missing parts.
.i  did make a "y" with wire to fit in hole instead of using strap hook into it.
worked nice.   also noted when trying to do like i have seen/read on net to push in seal/spacer/and bushing same time was taking way too much pressure.
felt sorry for seal....
so i started bushing with spacer and tapped it in with punch all around.
without seal i could remove spacer and insure it was seated.
worked out much nicer.   then just pushed seal in by hand with pvc T pipe.  no tapping even.
it all worked well and i have been riding bike for some time now.
no leaks.   also went to 20 wt oil.
did not have the measuring tool  or sucker or any of that.
just measured what came out of non leaking side and replaced.
everything great.

also figgured out why its always the right side that leaks.
hummm inch away from seal is huge brake disc.
thinking brake dust and crap can find way to fork and seal pretty easy...