May 02, 2024, 03:54:45 PM

News:

running on one cylinder

Started by blisterbut, December 20, 2008, 09:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blisterbut

pulled the rear plug and no spark , bad coil ? if so how do you check the coil ?

FSG

Swap the front & rear plugs first and re check.

Still the same cylinder or the same plug ?  Go from there.

baldoldfxr

presuming you're not running single fire ?. then do as fatboy sir garfield say's  swap or replace plug -cap- lead one at a
time, if that does'nt fix it then you need a multimeter -the coil primary (12volt connections) should have one of the following resistance readings or close to it 1970/80 = 4.7-5.7 ohms, 1980/83 =3.3-3.7 ohms, 1984 & later =2.5-3.1 ohms.
secondary (between plug lead terminals) 1970/80 = 16,000-20,000 ohms, 1980/83 =16,500/19,500 ohms,
1984 up =10,000-13.750.
Its unusual for a coil to pack up on one side only but possible . hope this helps, let us know how you get on as there are more tests you can do.

blisterbut

i went out this morning to take a look at the connections on the coil all were fine, next i switched plug wires and she started right up and ran for 45 seconds backfired and began to run on one cylinder again ? ps I'm running a crane high4 thanks

96flhpi

Having recently had that same problem I'd guess it was the Hi-4.  Mine crapped out the same way.

Lew

That's usually how it starts.........those Crane HI-4s have been popin right and left lately.  Something needs to change in the quality control dept.  The $ money they charge for those things....they should last forever IMO. 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

blisterbut

does any one have a recemendation on a replacement for the crane high4

Lew

There are many, many Crane units in use out there so not all are bad.  This doesn't really add much confidence to the the guy that gets to buy two of them though.

I prefer the Morris M-5...... :wink:
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

FSG

Quote from: blisterbut on December 21, 2008, 01:05:52 PM

Did you swap the plugs and is it still the same cylinder not firing ?

Purplepandan

Quote from: blisterbut on December 21, 2008, 01:05:52 PM
Points and a condensor. They work fine, last a LONG TIME, and Perform Well.

blisterbut

fatboy, i did swap the plugs and no change, thanks to all for the help and advice its much needed

96flhpi

If my brain is working properly (not always the case) you should be able to swap the two wires that go to the outside terminals on the coil, then switch the upper and lower spark plug wires at coil.  Cylinders have now swapped side of coil that fires each.  If front cylinder starts shutting off coil is bad.

Someone let me know if I am stupid - scratch that - let me know if I'm wrong.

randallwhitman

I've had a Compufire all electronic for ten years without a hiccup.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

baldoldfxr

I'm using the ultima version of the dyna 2000, works well easy to set up.

ST40

December 22, 2008, 08:03:37 AM #14 Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:10:47 AM by ST40
I lost one cylinder and couldn't find anything noticeable until I started tugging wires on the coil, found 1 that still looked like it was connected but was broken in the crimped connector.  Check all connectors.        I'm running a Crane FireBall Single Fire coil with S&S ignition-9000 miles.  OK so far.     Marty
Marty

76shuvlinoff

Running a Dyna 2000i (Ultima makes the same thing cheaper) for better than 21,000 miles now.  No issues yet but it's not a good choice for kick starting.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

blisterbut

the end of the saga is, i replaced the crane with daytona twin tec ignition . problem solved thanks for all your help, Blister

Flat Dog

Try calling Crane-bet they will make things right for you, maybe even outside of warranty.

hotham

I run a Compufire Elite in my hot rod.  13 years, never a problem

buzzurd

Dyna 2000i here.Been runing for approx.6 years and many many miles with no problem.If it does give up the ghost it will be replaced with another.
Buzzurd

Jusbo48

Points an condenser
works good
no problems
cheap and easy to work on.

that is unless ya what single fire