April 28, 2024, 11:44:09 AM

News:

Pushrod removal Question

Started by Tre_11 FLHX, December 21, 2008, 05:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tre_11 FLHX

December 21, 2008, 05:03:21 AM Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:04:25 AM by mzodarg
Since I am replacing pushrods with adjustables, I was just going to cut them out with cutters like I did on my last build.  Is it necessary to bring the cylinder to TDC prior to cutting them?  I don't remember doing that on the last build, I have slept since then- so please advise.

As always TIA,
Mike
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

rigidthumper

I'm not sure it absolutely has to be done, but it does reduce the pressure on the lifters if you're at TDC-C, and less pressure means less chance of gouging the cases. I go to TDC and wait till the pushrods can be spun between fingers before cutting.
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Tre_11 FLHX

Rigidthumper-
Thanks, could'nt remember if I just cut on a previous scoot. 

Thanks again!

Mike
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

les

Quick question.  Why did you cut them last time rather than pull them out from the top?  ...since you were doing a build.

Faast Ed

I too fail to see what is gained by cutting the pushrods, when the top is coming off anyhow.
≡Faast Ed>

Admiral Akbar

Maybe he's not got the top off, just replacing the cams? 

Faast Ed

I thought he had another string where he was doing the whole build.
Perhaps I have him mixed up with someone else.
≡Faast Ed>

Tre_11 FLHX

December 21, 2008, 09:55:51 AM #7 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:04:42 AM by mzodarg
Yes I am doing a whole build.  I am by far a pro- and the last time I did a complete build, I was told to cut them since I had Adjustables to put back in.  I read this before cutting them and I did not cut them, just removed the tops. 

Thanks for setting me straight!

Mike

tireater

Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...