May 08, 2024, 07:33:24 AM

News:

Carb Swap

Started by gaillarry, December 21, 2008, 05:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaillarry

Along with my top end rebuild I'm changing out the stock Keihin carb on my 86 FLTHC.  Bought a CV type on fleabay from a 95 Softail.  The carb comes with a dynajet kit installed, Hi-flo air filter, and SE cover.  I also got the proper carb mount brackets and proper intake manifold off fleabay.  I've read the dynajet kits are not the best.  Should I leave the kit in place or change to stock parts?
1992 Heritage Softail Classic
Ontario, Canada

choseneasy

It will be an improvement over the butterfly carb. Try it, some guys have good luck with them despite the nay-sayers. The bad part about the kit is that the slide is drilled which means you may as well get an unmolested carb from somewhere else if you don't like it.

RLPOS1

I installed the Thunderslide kit it works great no issues been in 2 years
1996 FXD
T/Jet kit, S/E 6000 RPM Ignition, Hooker Tunable's, EV27, HyperCharger

mark98012

I put a CV carb (taken off a '95) on my '86 FLH. I pulled out the dyna jet kit that was in and replace it with a Sportster needle (great acceleration) but due to gas mileage I took it out and installed a needle from a '90's bagger (still good pickup but better mileage) and it's still got it. Very easy to manually tune. I did it myself and after a year, just for the heck of it, had it dyno tuned. The guy could only get 3 hp more. So it's pretty easy. CV is the best thing you can do.

Mark
Mark98012

Dresser

I ran a CV with a SE flow air cleaner on my 91 Ultra for years. It worked a lot better after the DynoJet kit went into it. I'd try it for a while.

gaillarry

I've decided to leave it for now.  Once spring comes and I get a few hundred miles on the rebuild I'll make a more informed decision.
1992 Heritage Softail Classic
Ontario, Canada

JohnS_Rosamond

Most of the parts on the Dyno jet kit can be removed (jet holder / emulsion tube and the diaphragm spring).  However, if the slide was drilled out to 1/8 inch, you can't make the hole smaller.  That one step is one of my gripes against the Dyno jet kit.  However, agreed with the rest.  I switched my 1988 FLHS to the CV and it really is one of the best upgrades.  Very simple to set up and very tolerant of small particles in the float bowl.  That may not seem like much of a plus (until I ran a 40mm Mikuni through Death Valley, CA and had to stop almost every 5 or six miles to clean the float bowl because sediment was getting passed the gas tank screen into the Mik.

John S,

Sonny S.

I have filled slide holes that have been drilled with JB Weld, and then drilled them to the stock size. At first I wasn't too sure of leaving such a small amount of JB in the hole after redrilling so I filled the hole, then drilled a new one next to it the stock size. Have not had a problem doing it either way though.
You'd think I remembered what size the stock hole is but.... I forgot   :embarrassed:
I can check one if you take that route..... I've got a few

92flhtcu

John S, great to see you on the board again, I've gleaned a lot of help from reading your stuff(and others also)
Rob
Need a bigger garage