May 01, 2024, 07:38:33 PM

News:

Increasing the rake on a Road King?

Started by Guitarplayer, December 21, 2008, 10:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarplayer

Has anyone done this?  Any kits available?  I've seen 3 deg kits for older bikes but not the newer RK's.

PC_Hater

www.customtripletrees.com

They make raked trees for FLs. They are intended for use with sidecar outfits to reduce the trail.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

HV

The new Tri Glide has a raked tripple tree and longer lower fork legs to go with it ...
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

CraigArizona85248

What are you trying to accomplish?  Adding raked trees to a bike will decrease your trail.  That's fine for a sidecar rig, but will make wobble more of a problem for a two wheeler.

-Craig

HV

As a side note the tri glide also has a steering dampener to stop the wiggles
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Guitarplayer

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on December 21, 2008, 11:29:08 AM
What are you trying to accomplish?  Adding raked trees to a bike will decrease your trail.  That's fine for a sidecar rig, but will make wobble more of a problem for a two wheeler.

-Craig

I'd like to give the bike a slightly lower sleeker look in the front.  I've allready installed shorter fork springs, but would like to drop another 1/2 - 1"  One thing I defeniatly don't want to do is make the bike dangerous to ride. 

PC_Hater

December 21, 2008, 12:11:20 PM #7 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 12:16:42 PM by PC_Hater
The trail on the FLs is far too long for a solo machine. Long trail reduces steering stability at speed so 4" of trail would be about right on an FL. Using raked trees is not my preferred way but it is the easiest and cheapest way to do it.
Dunno why Guitarplayer wants to use raked trees, but that's why I want to do it.
(must learn to type faster! Guitarplayer got in first!)

Believe me, 26 degree rake with 4" trail is not dangerous, I would not like trail below 3.5", but some bikes do it, and with even steeper rake.
We have roads with bends in them so I disapprove of lowering bikes... My FL scrapes enough as it is!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S