April 28, 2024, 01:49:44 AM

News:

Paint work is back

Started by 04customking, December 21, 2008, 11:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

04customking

December 21, 2008, 11:35:20 AM Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:55:46 AM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Got the stuff back from the painter. Putting the emblems and trim on now.
Things are starting to come together.

EDIT:  Pix always l@@k better with a space between them.  FSG
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

MBSKEAM

don't scratch it....LOL

looks good

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

sprucecreek

wow...looks terrific.  what is the "official" name of the blue?
1956 FLH

04customking

There's no "official" name for the paint. I saw another bike online and really liked the look of the color. I was able to find the guy and got his number. I called him and he owns his own resto shop and still had the paint and codes. It's a PPG Concept paint with some black tint added. I have to say I liked his color better. On the computer it looked darker than this one. I don't dislike this one and I'm not about to change it, just could've liked the darker color more.
I'll try not to scratch it Mike. Thanks, Jim

CraigArizona85248

Looks great!  Can't wait to see the bike coming together.
Oh... and I didn't quite like my paint when I got it back about 5 years ago either.  But after a little time it grew on me and I'm fine with it now.

-Craig

04customking

Thanks Craig, that's what I'm counting on too.

sprucecreek

I asked about the paint because I have been trying to figure out the color of my 56FLH, which looks pretty close.  I bought the bike a while back from an estate, and the heirs didn't know anything about the history of the bike, or who had restored and painted it.  I thought mine might be atomic blue, which was correct for 55 and 56, but the paint chip from antique cycle supply didn't match, so it must be a custom job.  Could you provide any info on the shop that did the work for you?

Looks like you are going to have a terrific 54 FL when you are done.....keep posting pics as you proceed!
1956 FLH

04customking

After you asked and I gave you my answer I wrote the guy who gave me the paint numbers and asked him if they were for a Harley color. He wrote back today and said he picked the color from a chip book that was close to the Harley color but once he sprayed a piece he didn't like it so he tinted it with a little black. It's still very close to what the factory was I think. The painter I used was a guy that I work with. He paints at a shop during the day and does a few jobs at home too.
Jim

04customking

Sprucecreek, I was just looking at your bike on the show your pan threat. Hard to tell about the color with yours being outdoors and mine indoors with a flash but they appear different. It doesn't look to me like you need any paint work or any thing else for that matter. That's a beautiful bike you've got there.

sprucecreek

Thanks, Customking.  I am trying to bring the bike back to where it looks like a 56 should.  Currently having a "correct" 56 speedo repaired to put it on.  I think with the paint I am just going to have to have a body shop with a paint computer try to mix a match to do some touchup.  Some nimrod lifted the seat up (probably to change the oil) before I got the bike and scratched the inside edge of the tank.  :-(

Looking forward to seeing your project evolve.....
1956 FLH

chris haynes

Too bad ya didn't use real 1954 sheetmetal and not the repop stuff. I hope you mounted that rear fender and fixed the brackets before you had it painted.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

04customking

Unfortunately, the bike didn't come with any OEM sheetmetal at all or I would have gone a different direction completely with the bike. Engine and tranny are correct, but frame was cut up and the non oem sheetmetal were why I decided to just put it together to achieve the look I wanted. I like the look of fat bob tanks instead of the smaller originals so I kept them. Front fender is the oem fender off my '04 RK custom with holes drilled for the trim and spears and the 50th emblem. I like the old bike look, but changed it to my preferences, not yours or anyone elses.
Jim

still_on2_wheels

Very nice.

Very very nice!

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

iiggii

Looks good ! ,Do it for your self ,How you like it. most guys dont know the difference between oem and repop.its your bike impress your self !.

Little Al

Jim,

I'm with you ALL THE WAY!

it's your bike, make it to your liking!
Little Al

04customking

Thanks guys. I wish all the time that the bike was more original when I got it, but if it was I wouldn't have gotten it for the price I did. Speedo, handlebars, seat, and alot of other stuff weren't there. To expensive for me to bring this one to original. Maybe I'll find one like moose did someday. That would be exciting.
Jim

moose

Quote from: chris haynes on December 25, 2008, 09:43:05 AM
Too bad ya didn't use real 1954 sheetmetal and not the repop stuff. I hope you mounted that rear fender and fixed the brackets before you had it painted.

chris what do you mean fix the brackets?  is there something that has to be done with the brackets before mounting

moose

50 hydra
Moose aka Glenn-

moose

Moose aka Glenn-

Pzokes

January 03, 2009, 04:12:43 PM #18 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:16:11 PM by Pzokes
Moose,
Chris Haynes might be refering to the clips or brackets that hold the wiring loom for the tailights.  If you use a modern profile tire, the clips sometimes will rub against the tire unless you flatten them. 

I'm sure that 04customking, like everybody else does, bolted up the fenders and tanks before he painted them to make sure that those brackets fit ok. 
There's miles to go before I sleep.

04customking

Yes, the fender was on and off many times. There is plenty of clearance on mine at least for the wire harness tabs. I assumed (I know) he meant the mounting brackets themselves. They distorted the fender sides if you stretched them to where they needed to be to bolt on. I had to rebend them in several spots to reach the frame rails without the distortion and to squarely sit on the frame.

Jim

MBSKEAM

you too..........LOL
hell I had to cut one and shorten it about 3/16

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

Pzokes

I like the idea that some people are now modifying their Panheads into what the hot rod world would call a "resto-custom".  You get the old time look, in a reliable updated package, that is personalized by the owner.  But Panheads also look good in all sorts of configurations.  I think of Panheads as the motorcycle rider's 32 Ford.   
There's miles to go before I sleep.

04customking

That's a good description of mine, a resto custom. Who doesn't like '32 fords? :up: :beer: