May 01, 2024, 07:45:42 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cost for Paint Job

Started by aal, December 21, 2008, 01:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aal

I'll probably not do it, but am just curious what a good paint job costs for a standard softail.  Nothing fancy; maybe a metallic, one color.  Also, aside from the paint job, how much is involved in removing the tank & fenders & replacing them?  Thanks.

Big Dan

Removing and replacing the tins isn't a big deal. If you don't already have one, get the factory service manual for your bike. It will walk you right through it.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Flat Dog

My local guy does it for $500, including minor bodywork. He only does a few just for fun when he's not shooting cars professionally. This is a fairly low price for the industry, however. PPG paints...

Big Dan

I could paint it for ya, but if you've seen any of my paint threads you'll understand that I'll need 8 thousand dollars and 3 years to do the work.

Seriously, a lot of members here and on other boards have sent their stuff to Seattledyna and the work has been top-notch. Definitely worth considering.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

mark61

Local body shop---someone I know does good painting- quoted me $300 to paint a fairing and tour pac box. He said his chemical cost doubles this year using PPG  paints. Base coat, color and clear coat.  Might be less since I give him 3 or 4 months to do it between car repairs/repaint/body work.

mark61

seattledyna

A first class job on a Softail 3 piece set can run from 800 to 1500 (or more) depending on color, stripes artwork etc.
I do a job that you would be proud to show off and will give you years of service.

I like to give the HTT members a substantial break on price ;)

aal

Seattledyna, really beautiful work.  If / when I decide to do it, I'll pm you.  Thanks again. 

seattledyna

HDRDR

Dennis The Menace

SD, are you using PPG paints?  Seems I gathered that from past threads.  Also, can you propose any ideas for a Road Glide?  I know the base color I want (light metalflake lime green), but cant think of any accents, stripes, etc.  I do know I DONT want flames.   They are over done, IMO.  Been thinking about painting this bike, cuz I really like it and want to keep it for awhile.

TIA

Menace

d-dog

SeattleDyna,
  Are you able to match to older colors?  I've got an 81 FLH that's the green and orange (peas and carrots is what we call it).  It originally came with some really grotesque squared off fringy bags.  I've got a set of fiberglass bags and an older "batwing" fairing I'd like to get painted to match.  You can see the model in most HD history books - it's called an FLH 80 Heritage.  If so, I'm at the eastern side of the state, and my brother who lives in Ellensburg could get the stuff to you.  As a rough estimate, how much would I be looking at?
Thanx
Dog

Bakon

$1500 for three pieces like that is a deal.

In Pittsburgh we have a good guy in the South Hills with about the same cost for flaming over a good base. But the flames are some of the best around. Does only custom cars and bikes. Pro Comp.
wasting time

seattledyna

Dennis, I have some great ideas kicking around for roadglides, and yes, PPG has some amazing "Vibrance" collection greens you might like.

dog, one of my long time specialties is matching older exisiting colors, not in WA anymore, but the brown trucks come right to the door!  shoot me an email and we can talk!

stro1965

Very nice work Seattledyna!

seattledyna

Dennis The Menace

SD, what is your email?  I have many questions, I suppose I will post here so others can get the scoop:
How long do you need to have the tins; for paint to sure, etc?  (Not including the time to wait cuz I am sure you are busy)
Do I need to prep my tins at all, or do you do all the stripping, body work, etc?
I have a few minor dings in the front fender (who doesnt?), can you tap those out, or do you use filler?  Or, should I get a new tin?
How would I be able to see color chips to select the colors I want?
Do you provide a drawing of the proposed design, if I dont have my own?
What can I expect for the paint durability--will it hold up like stock, for many years?
Do you offer a guarantee on the job against peeling, flaking, etc?

Sorry for 1,000 questions.  These are questions I have had for years as I debated going with a new paint job.  In the past, I was mostly happy with the stock color, so didnt get real serious about a new paint job.  But, I have Basic Black now and really dont like it.  So, it may be time to jump.

Can you provide email address to contact offline?

Thank you--Dennis

seattledyna

Dennis,

I turn jobs around in a very reasonable time, I like to get the guys back on the road soon as possible
no need for you to prep
where possible I always try to dolly out dents to keep filler at a minimum
I can mail color chips to you to look at
we can work very closely on a design, yours, mine or a combination, or if you see a design somewhere we can copy or modify
I only use the best materials possible, PPG is the OEM supplier to HD
guarantee, absolutly!!  (have never had a comeback though)

Mikeshawgpaint@msn.com