May 01, 2024, 10:42:18 PM

News:

Considering buying a shovel

Started by Evo1, December 21, 2008, 02:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evo1

I am considering buying a shovel as a second bike. I have a Evo bagger for long trips and would use the shovel for in town and short trips. What are your recomendations as to best year and model.
TIA, Steve

em3

Steve, I have a 76 FLH for sale, send me an email at jeff.payne@kw.com and I will send photos

shovelbill

'82 or '83 FXR. just update some of the components and you'll have a great ride........you just may rather ride that than the bagger ;). my $.02 for what its worth. 
                                            bill
build it, bust it.....figure out why

dablaze

Evo, yer in Minnysota...I bet Pappy could find ya a deal on one if that '76 is not what yer lookin for (I like '76's, but for no real reason)

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

Johnb4452

If you already have a touring model. Try a wideglide FXWG I am5'-9" and it fits me perfect. The laid back riding position is great.

I also have an 08 Road King. Like a previous reply stated. I like riding the old FXWG a lot more than the new bike.

Thats my 2 I hope it helps you.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

pappyfreebird

craigslist brainard area has a 77 flh fer 4500.00..be a great start to a lovin relashunship...strip her down slam it n run a lowdown fatglide

randallwhitman

The four speed framed shovel is the classic item, but the FXR is better handling and, of course, smooth.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Little Al

I may be biased but late FXR is the way to go.

my '83 is my most favorite bike of the almost 100 bikes I've owned in my past 39 1/2 years of riding.

I'll let you know if that changes over the next 39 years or riding, lol
Little Al

rashd

With an Evo in the garage, I would try for an early flatside...no worry about VIN on the frame.
You just have to look for the right deal and/or pile...

If go-fast notions are considered, then the earlier post on the FXR chasis is on the money...
again, a search effort...

Evo1

Not being an expert on shovels.... what is a flat side?

gryphon

The flatside shovels were made from '66 thru '69. They were kind of a transition motor and really are basicly a  pan lower end with shovel top end. Very nice looking motors but getting kind of spendy. Personaly I feel that your choice of shovels would depend on what you wanted. If your looking for a more performance oriented bike then the FXR's are a good choice. Also very smooth above an idle. On the other hand if you want a very classic looking shovel then perhaps a stripped down FLH is the way to go.

dirtywhitewalls

flat side / pan shovel / generator shovel, what ever you want to call it, (although i do not have one) in my opinion, is the unequivocally coolest mill ever ever ever...

gryphon

If you don't mind doing a little work on your own, even the FXR's can be given a kind of classic look. Below is a photo of the FXR shovel we built for my son.

randallwhitman

Gryph......nice work!!!!!  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

FSG

96flhpi

Damn Gryph - first that Evo in a 4sp frame and now this.  Always hated the look of an FXR (won't debate handling/performance though) but that's a ride I would be proud of.  You are one talented dude.

gryphon

Thanks guy's, I certainly  appreciate the compliments.

Evo1, I really wouldn't say there were any very best or worst years. It's all a matter of what you'd like for yourself. Shovels have been around long enough now that any factory problems have long since been corrected. If it were me and I wasn't familiar with them I would take a look through ebay at various bikes and see what looks best to you. Naturaly, the best kept or updated bikes will bring the highest prices. As they should. But, if a guy wants to make the bike his own then buying a bike that needs some help could also be a bargain. Shovel parts are bringing top dollar these days as they become harder to find but most  shovel riders have found ways to get around that by improvising newer or aftermarket parts. Since you already have a touring bike you can pick or build your Shovel based in a large part on what looks good to you. Don't be concerned though about any inherant reliablity issues. A well maintained shovel will go anywhere a new twinkie will go. An look better when it gets there.

shovelbill

QuoteA well maintained shovel will go anywhere a new twinkie will go. An look better when it gets there
that there is gospel Gryphon, great sled too!
build it, bust it.....figure out why

Evo1

A big thanks to all! The problem is that I like too many differant styles of bikes. Seeing as I allready have a touring bike, I'll most likely look for a FXR. I like to wrench when I have the time so a bike that need some help just may be the ticket. Gryphon, you have been most helpful not only on this thread but others that I have posted on also.... thanks again!

stroker800

Personnally I like a bobber for blastin around on,,big inch shovel,,,no xtra parts, barebones bad ass,,,but hey thats my taste in bikes.
Dave

jerite

December 23, 2008, 06:55:11 AM #20 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 06:56:51 AM by jerite
My flatside...which I prefer to say generator shovel..by far the coolest lookin' motors except for one of those knuckles..they were pretty damn cool!
And as far as I am concerned any shovel is a good shovel...but thats just my opinion!

Less is more....let's keep it simple!

Mule

This was my brothers 69, he passed it on to his son, my nephew. It is on it's way here from washington state in the back of a trailer, having a few problems because of snow. My nephew is just home from the middle east and being re-located to Florida. He wants to ride with his dad and uncle over the Christmas holiday, before heading on to Florida.This bike still has the paint job I did on it over 23 years ago, before I got sober.  Mule...

Little Al

well Mule, that family thing is a GREAT way to preserve our Shovels, keeping them running and more importantly, ridden!

And thank your nephew and tell him welcome back for me would ya? and enjoy that ride with him and your brother

Little Al
Little Al

Mule

December 23, 2008, 06:48:43 PM #23 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:00:53 PM by Mule
 Al,
  I will give him a welcome home from you, Thanks !  He pulled into my brothers driveway this evening safe and sound from the snow ordeal, along with his wife and daughter, Looks like were ridin Friday ,maybe saturday...Mule...

Oh yeah here is the 1980 shovel I had posted a while back, thats I was tryin to sell to buy my wife a rubbermount...16,000 original miles, original paint, nice ride...

jerite

Mule-
Give him a big thumbs up for me too! By the way I got 13 years my own self...Merry Christmas!
Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!